PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I'm certain someone will already have done this and looking for an answer to this query...

I've found cherry topped aros to be very strong in room note, jar aroma and smoked taste, if I mix it 50/50 with a standard Cavendish aro will it 'dilute' the cherry by around half or simply flavour the cavendish with a pretty strong cherry?

I'll probbaly try it with a small amount anyway but interested in the experience of others

Thanks in advance

Reactions: rushx9

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I think you might be on the right track by "diluting" the strong cherry topping by mixing it into some neutral tobaccos, like Cavendish, Burleys, etc. Try: bulk Captain Black/RPL-6, or 1-Q, etc, for your unflavored aro "base".

I would start experimenting by mixing very small amounts of the cherry tobacco with the diluting tobacco(s), and write down the proportions and note some critiques, after smoking a few bowls. I use a small, coffee scoope, or small empty, plastic, straight-sided, pill bottle (those amber-colored Rx bottles) for my volume measure. For example: start with a half bottle/scoop of the cherry-tobacco and mix it with one full bottle of the other tobacco. Smoke it. Add or subtract until the mixture with the cherry tobacco hits the right proportions.

Using a SMALL pill bottle will help prevent wasting too much tobacco. I would start be strengthening the unflavored tobacco, with the cherry, and not the other way around. You might be surprised how little of the flavored tobacco is needed to influence the aroma and flavor of the more neutral tobacco(s).

Good luck with your mixing/diluting endeavors. Let us know what you did and what you used.

Last edited:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I like "blending down" aros with Sutliff 515 and/or 707 or sometimes Carter Hall. What I enjoy even more is mixing a pinch of aro with some bulk English for a crossover smoke. I've had good luck emulating Shortcut to Mushrooms and gotten close enough to Frog Morton land with some mixes. I bought a pound of P&C Best of the Rest English just for blending this way. My favorite smoke right now is 2 parts BOTR to 1 part SG Firedance Flake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This tends toward the favorable characteristic of good aromatic blends, making a mixture that is more tobacco forward. Many aromatics that sell well do so because the flavoring is put on with a heavy hand, so the tobacco is incidental or un-tasteable. Cherry isn't a flavoring I much like, but this is a good method for moderating any aromatic flavoring that is overdone.

Reactions: JMcQ

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Well I went all-in as it were and mixed 100g of a strong Borkum Riff cherry aromatic with 50g of a lite flavoured rum/maple aro and its definitely 'calmed down' the cherry a fair bit (previously it stunned the senses like getting smacked in the face with a wet fish now its more like I imagined it should be)

Far more palatable now, it could still do with coming down a notch in flavour but I don't have enough excess to mix 50/50 just now, but I don't think it would ruin either

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I forgot to say... I think Rum & Cherry compliment each other quite well (it may well be a recognised pipe tobacco mix anyway as it is in cooking but I haven't noticed it while window shopping on the web)

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I have mixed (50/50 or so) black cavandish with several aros and some Sir Walter just for fun. They actually came out quite nicely. The Sir Walter was mixed primarily because it came dry as a bone in the pouch and the cavandish was pretty moist.
I love the smell of cavandish in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.