PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I love solving a good mystery. I have failed with finding info on the background on this old pipe (photos below). I have scoured the Web, checked pipephil.eu/logos, pipedia, etc. Nothing. Lightly stamped "Royal Deluxe" over "London Made" with FT 40 1/2 on the the side of the shank. Brass dot on the stem. Any assistance with solving this mystery appreciated. Merry Christmas, gents!

IMG_7732.jpegIMG_7733.jpegIMG_7734.jpegAny help, wisdom appreciated Merry Christmas!!!!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
A bit of a correction, "ROYAL DELUXE" over "LONDON MADE' all in upper case letters. I am very curious about the stamping on the right side of the shank, FT 40 1/2. I have not seen this kind of nomenclature on a pipe other than a Dunhill.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Can you take two pictures of the stem, one showing the slot and the other of the tenon. Seeing how the tenon is shaped would help.

Actually, a photo of the end of the shank would help too.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Remnants of a stinger in there. Initially I'd thought Parker but it's inconsistent with several other details.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I actually did not know British pipes had stingers. I thought that was an American phenomenon. There is no doubt the metal piece was used for something...

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I actually did not know British pipes had stingers. I thought that was an American phenomenon. There is no doubt the metal piece was used for something...
Comoys used stingers. They also had a metal inset , they called it “Reinforced at the Push”. They only used it on their highest grade pipes. And only for a short time after 39 to right before WW2. So only a few years due to metal shortages. Most who don’t know think it’s a stinger broke off.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Comoys used stingers. They also had a metal inset , they called it “Reinforced at the Push”. They only used it on their highest grade pipes. And only for a short time after 39 to right before WW2. So only a few years due to metal shortages. Most who don’t know think it’s a stinger broke off.

Interesting. I have taken another look. With magnification, I would suggest the metal is the Reinforced at the Push piece rather than the remnants of a stinger.

Any thoughts on the stamping, "FT 40 1/2"?

Reactions: ChuckMijo

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have an Emerson with a stinger that is a sub brand of Comoy’s and it’s even marked with the Comoy’s shape code and London Made, so they definitely did go through the stinger phase.

Reactions: Humblepipe

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here
is an example of that...

18533573-orig.jpg

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Interesting. I have taken another look. With magnification, I would suggest the metal is the Reinforced at the Push piece rather than the remnants of a stinger.

Any thoughts on the stamping, "FT 40 1/2"?
No. I’m sorry I don’t have any idea about that pipe. I don’t think it’s a Comoy. I don’t think that’s it’s reinforced at the push. I own one and it does not look like yours. Yours probably is a broken stinger. I don’t think that is a dunhill stem.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.