PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I acquired a bunch of tins when my father passed away. I joined this forum awhile back and received some helpful tips on smoking and I still enjoy smoking here and there. I have some questions about the tins.
1. He wrote dates on the back. Is that when he bought them?
2. Some seemed lightweight and I opened one and it was empty. Why would he have been keeping tins that were empty?
3. How can I tell when one has not been opened? I see some have a sticker on the side so that is pretty obvious but some seem to have some weight but no sticker. I didn't want to just bust them all open in case that degrades the tobacco. Does weighing them on a scale work instead to know if they are full?
Your insight is greatly appreciated. View attachment 196573
About the dates? You sure he wrote them? If he did I'd bet it's for when he bought them. But I can't say without consulting him.
Why would you keep a tin? Well one they smell nice. They can carry anything that fits in them. Also some people keep tins of ones they know they'll want to buy again. Also maybe he didn't know if he should throw them out or put them in the recycling bin.
If a tin isn't opened it should be sealed and it would take a lot of effort to open by hand. If you can't open it easily it hasn't been opened.
Hope that helped and you enjoyed the fifth or fourth time reading the same basic stuff :)

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
For reasons I can't fathom, these two empty tins have dogged my steps for decades now. I remember being underwhelmed by both tobaccos, The Butera has an $8.50 price tag on the back. It took me forever to finish both of them as I didn't really care for either but wouldn't discard them. Maybe it's guilt....

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: Manx
To tell if a tin has been opened... someone else may have said this, and if so, I apologize... Just try to twist the top off. If it has never been opened, it will NOT come off with merely your hands. If it has been opened, it will.
Unless it is a recent Samuel Gawith or GH&co tin. They do not seal their tins as well as all of the other tobacco companies.

Why keep an empty... sometimes I just like a tin. Hell, most of the world has an Apple IPhone box somewhere in their home. Cool boxes, and a shame to just throw such a cool thing away.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
For reasons I can't fathom, these two empty tins have dogged my steps for decades now. I remember being underwhelmed by both tobaccos, The Butera has an $8.50 price tag on the back. It took me forever to finish both of them as I didn't really care for either but wouldn't discard them. Maybe it's guilt....

View attachment 197697
Did you smoke them fresh, or recently

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Squeeze them. If they act like opened strawberry jam jar, seal is lost. Move them to a mason jar or something so they don't dry out. If the seal is intact, the tin will not pop like lid strawberry jar and it would be concave. Unlike Christmas gift, shaking them won't let you know if something is in there. But seal is lost, good chance either the content is gone, or you better move them to mason jar. Empty tin, you can keep them for sentimental value. But won't bring you any coins. Some people keep them. Mine goes in recycle.
I like how you explained it like a jam jar. That makes sense. I will probably also weight it. I want to be sure. Thanks!

Reactions: kcghost

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I agree with the strawberry jar approach. It takes a coin, screwdriver, pipe knife or other handy tool to pop the seal and open a sealed tin. If you can easily open it the seal is gone and if it’s salvageable it should be jarred immediately. Unless you’re Popeye the sailor man and can twist axe handles in two with your sheer manliness you’re not gonna accidentally open a well sealed tin bare handed.
Haha. Nice visual regarding Popeye. I am definitely lacking in manliness. =)

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
We would love to see his collection!
I will try to get a photo of them some time. Not sure when though. I find myself with many projects in the works at all times. Haha. We also split up his pipe collection 3 ways. I am in awe of the number of pipes he had. I know he smoked pretty much his whole life so..... it makes sense. I always liked the way the tobacco smelled even when I was a kid. Some of the ones in the jars smell familiar.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
About the dates? You sure he wrote them? If he did I'd bet it's for when he bought them. But I can't say without consulting him.
Why would you keep a tin? Well one they smell nice. They can carry anything that fits in them. Also some people keep tins of ones they know they'll want to buy again. Also maybe he didn't know if he should throw them out or put them in the recycling bin.
If a tin isn't opened it should be sealed and it would take a lot of effort to open by hand. If you can't open it easily it hasn't been opened.
Hope that helped and you enjoyed the fifth or fourth time reading the same basic stuff :)
Thanks. Yes, it is his writing. He was always very meticulous with writing things down. I always found that cool about him.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA

View attachment 197697
I appreciate this insight into why you kept these tins and it was very cleverly conveyed. I really like the artwork and shape of the one on the left. Sorry they were underwhelming but they certainly still made an impact.

Manx

Lurker
Apr 22, 2021
Atlanta, GA
To tell if a tin has been opened... someone else may have said this, and if so, I apologize... Just try to twist the top off. If it has never been opened, it will NOT come off with merely your hands. If it has been opened, it will.
Unless it is a recent Samuel Gawith or GH&co tin. They do not seal their tins as well as all of the other tobacco companies.

Why keep an empty... sometimes I just like a tin. Hell, most of the world has an Apple IPhone box somewhere in their home. Cool boxes, and a shame to just throw such a cool thing away.
Haha, yes I do have iphone boxes around and I have no idea why. I do think a lot of these tins looks infinitely cooler than those boxes so..... I definitely understand it more now.