Questions on Common Plaster and Pipe Mud.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pep

Lurker
Jun 7, 2021
Sarawak, Borneo
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Good afternoon,

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking and have being having troubles with leftovers stuck in the belly bottom of my cobs.
I was thinking of figuring out how to "fix" the problem by googling "corn cob modification" and came across many opinions and ideas from the internet from tossing the cob out and buy a new one to pipe mudding the cobs.

Intrigue with the idea of pipe mudding and having no cigar ash available,
Also coming across canerodpipe's idea of Pipe Mortar.
In which consisted of Plaster of Paris, Activated Charcoal, Table Salt and Water.
I went to the Hardware store and got me some plaster, some activated charcoal from the pharmacies, among other things.

Due to Covid, a lot of art and craft stores are close and I am unable to get me a proper bag of Plaster of Paris,
and the hardware store lady who sold me the plaster doesn't knew the differences between common plaster and PoP.
It worries me a lot.

So I follow canerodpipe's recipe with common plaster, leaving it to cure for 5 days
while I coat the exterior of the cobs with wood fillers and a coat of water-based vanish.
I had "modified" 2 of my cobs with this solution Pipe Mortar but with common Plaster,
and another cob with cigar ash with a cigar I have got from the same tobacconist a day after just for the sake of getting the pipe mud.

Alas, trying the 2 pipes for the first time, I find my tongue feels like it was being coated,
coated by something, unlike tongue bite, it feels like"something is not right".
Compared to the cob that just has a simple cigar ash + water pipe mud which smoke wonderfully and doesn't coat my tongue just like how a normal pipes should.

My main questions are these.
Are common plaster save to use as pipe mud?
Will it be toxic?

Thank you

The following picture is the inner coating of two of my cobs,

Pipe mud of cigar ash + water to the Left,
Pipe mortar of Common Plaster, Activated Charcoal, Table Salt and water to the right.
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 14.08.42.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 14.08.42 (1).jpeg

p.s. I am currently waiting for my airmail to get in with the U-shaped drill bits tools and chisels, I may have to remove all the coatings and replace them with cigar ash instead.
I have yet try the original canerodpipe's Pipe Mortar recipe of using Plaster of Paris solution yet, I will try that one too to find out how well it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've come across a lot of complicated recipes for pipe mud with very logically sounding reasons for each modification of the recipe.
However I've found that "simple was best" - just cigar ash and water. Just be sure you add the water a drop at a time and mix well before adding the next drop. It takes surprising little water to get the correct texture. You don't want a runny mix.

Reactions: JLD66 and Pep

Pep

Lurker
Jun 7, 2021
Sarawak, Borneo
I would stick with cigar ash. Asristacob sells it for cheap.
I cant buy no hydrostone tho as im half a world away, shipping would be too much for me to buy a single thing or two. I hope some folks in my local region carries some of his stuff. I cant ship much from the US unless i buy in bulk. P.s. from after conversion my corncobs are generally around 20 bucks each after shipping.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I cant buy no hydrostone tho as im half a world away, shipping would be too much for me to buy a single thing or two. I hope some folks in my local region carries some of his stuff. I cant ship much from the US unless i buy in bulk. P.s. from after conversion my corncobs are generally around 20 bucks each after shipping.
Just get a cigar and burn it down. Don't even need to smoke it if you don't want to.

Reactions: drayve85