PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

Got this GBD Apple 9487 with square shank and saddle bit stem It looks pretty old with light stamping. What's weird is the stem is missing that iconic GBD insignia. It does not look like a replacement stem. Was there ever a time GBD did not use that iconic insignia on their stems?

Thanks!

IMG_7889.jpegIMG_7892.jpegIMG_7893.jpeg

Reactions: ChuckMijo

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Gents,

Got this GBD Apple 9487 with square shank and saddle bit stem It looks pretty old with light stamping. What's weird is the stem is missing that iconic GBD insignia. It does not look like a replacement stem. Was there ever a time GBD did not use that iconic insignia on their stems?

Thanks!

View attachment 59806View attachment 59807View attachment 59808
My experience with GBD only dates from 1966. Before then I can't speak with authority on the use of the metal GBD logo. When I worked at the pipe shop Fred Diebel's in KC in the 70s (and GBD was a major line he sold) all carried the metal logo. We always carried a supply of these logos for stem replacement or removed the old one from the broken stem and put it on the replacement. We did this by using a soldering iron. The tip of the iron would heat the logo melting the vulcanite beneath it anchoring the logo and allowing it to lay flush with the surface. Then it would be buffed to polish it. My hunch is your pipe had a logo which was lost at some time and repeated buffing or cleaning of the stem removed most of the indentation in the rubber bit where the logo was once seated. The bit looks original and I am guessing your pipe dates from the 60s or 70s, but that's just a guess. Nice pipe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
My experience with GBD only dates from 1966. Before then I can't speak with authority on the use of the metal GBD logo. When I worked at the pipe shop Fred Diebel's in KC in the 70s (and GBD was a major line he sold) all carried the metal logo. We always carried a supply of these logos for stem replacement or removed the old one from the broken stem and put it on the replacement. We did this by using a soldering iron. The tip of the iron would heat the logo melting the vulcanite beneath it anchoring the logo and allowing it to lay flush with the surface. Then it would be buffed to polish it. My hunch is your pipe had a logo which was lost at some time and repeated buffing or cleaning of the stem removed most of the indentation in the rubber bit where the logo was once seated. The bit looks original and I am guessing your pipe dates from the 60s or 70s, but that's just a guess. Nice pipe.
Thanks, Ziggywm. What you have said makes sense. And, I agree that this is the original stem. I did look for a replacement logo, but none were to be found. It's all good...

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Thanks, Ziggywm. What you have said makes sense. And, I agree that this is the original stem. I did look for a replacement logo, but none were to be found. It's all good...
You might check with some pipe shops that have been around for a long time and sold GBDs. They would probably sell or give you one and you can mount it yourself as I described above. Hell, just the hunt for an old logo can be fun - never know what you might turn up!!?

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.