PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Hi guys and gals! How would this compare with Sutliff RR(Edgeworth Match). I quite like the match but I have to dry the hell out of it to reduce the cocoa casing so I can taste the burley. The PS has some Virginia and that might sweeten the burley enough for me. Any opinions or observations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi guys and gals! How would this compare with Sutliff RR(Edgeworth Match). I quite like the match but I have to dry the hell out of it to reduce the cocoa casing so I can taste the burley. The PS has some Virginia and that might sweeten the burley enough for me. Any opinions or observations would be appreciated. Thanks.
No comparison. RR has a rough cut where CC is more uniform cubes. RR has the chocolate notes and CC has more of a honey flavor. I get a sense of a very high Virginia content versus the burley in CC as well.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
No comparison. RR has a rough cut where CC is more uniform cubes. RR has the chocolate notes and CC has more of a honey flavor. I get a sense of a very high Virginia content versus the burley in CC as well.
Thanks! I'm going to try some as I've gravitated towards virginias in the last few decades. Edgeworth Sliced was my favorite burley in the past and the cocoa took a back seat to the excellent burley.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks! I'm going to try some as I've gravitated towards virginias in the last few decades. Edgeworth Sliced was my favorite burley in the past and the cocoa took a back seat to the excellent burley.
Funny you should mention both in the same thread. They're my default blends when I don't want to think too much about what I want to smoke.?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You would probably enjoy Angler's Dream as well.
While I understand that cavendish is a process as well as a sweet tobacco a la black cavendish( Captain Black), I haven't gone near it since the '80s. Not for me.
TR lists cavendish as a component of Angler's Dream. I would value your opinion, and where this blend falls between the other two.
Thanks Chasing.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
While I understand that cavendish is a process as well as a sweet tobacco a la black cavendish( Captain Black), I haven't gone near it since the '80s. Not for me.
TR lists cavendish as a component of Angler's Dream. I would value your opinion, and where this blend falls between the other two.
Thanks Chasing.
Can’t comment on the blends specifically but TR states it has “unflavored” black cavendish. This usually adds a smoothness and creaminess to a blend with the Captain Black type sweetness. Blends like Dunhill/Peterson 965 include this and it’s a great component that often adds body to a smoke.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks Chasing.
Not all Cavendish is sweetened. Unsweetened Cavendish is used in many blends as an enhancer for the body of smoke, especially in some English blends. Angler's Dream has a slight cinnamon note, but is no more aromatic than any of the codger burlys. Big fan myself.

20190403_140028.jpg

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . .so I can taste the burley. The PS has some Virginia and that might sweeten the burley enough . . .
Dear Edger,
I'm over the moon on the taste of burley--started trying to learn to sip and not puff about 6 months ago, and started switching from heavy Latakia blends about 3 months back to burleys. Now I love 'em both BUT GRAVITATE TO BURLEY all day and night!! You got good taste, Buddy!
kind regards
mike

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Dear Edger,
I'm over the moon on the taste of burley--started trying to learn to sip and not puff about 6 months ago, and started switching from heavy Latakia blends about 3 months back to burleys. Now I love 'em both BUT GRAVITATE TO BURLEY all day and night!! You got good taste, Buddy!
kind regards
mike
Thanks. You should try PS41 if you haven't.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Can’t comment on the blends specifically but TR states it has “unflavored” black cavendish. This usually adds a smoothness and creaminess to a blend with the Captain Black type sweetness. Blends like Dunhill/Peterson 965 include this and it’s a great component that often adds body to a smoke.
This post should say “ without the Captain Black type sweetness”.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.