Questions about my briar bowl bleading tobacco oils.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I just finished doing a complete cleaning of a couple basket pipes. I let them sit for a full 24 hours before attemting a bowl. I noticed today one of them is bleading the tobacco oils right through the sides of the briar bowl. Should it be doing this, I think not. Is the bowl comprimised? Should I be worried? Should I just ignore it? Will it create complications such as hotspots?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
That doesnt sound good to me, I dont really know for sure, some others may be able to help you better, but if it was me, I would let it sit for a week, then smoke it and see what happens, if it keeps hapening and you cant deal with it, dont smoke it.
All it has to do with is what your willing to tolerate I suppose

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My SMS Dublin meershaum does the same thing. I think I oversmoked it, though (I only had three pipes). Have no idea if that had anything to do with it. I have six now, including a cob and a ceramic, so I'll try resting it a week.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Was it a pipe previously smoked by you? What brand is it? What was your cleaning method?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Yeah it was my pipe, purchased new about 5 years ago. H.I.S. Italy, no stamp numbers. I didn't touch the cake other than wiping the inside of the bowl with a paper towl. Whiskey soaked pipe cleaners in the shank and stem. Dampened in whiskey used a paper towel around the outside of the bowl to clean it. Let it sit for 24 hours. First time I cleaned it I used rubbing alcohol. I figured whiskey would leave a nice taste.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It sure smelled like tobacco oils. It was just a few dots here and there. And a large patch on one side of the bowl right near the shank. And its got no finish or stain, its a natural. Wanted to see my paws staining the sides as i smoked it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ok mate. Sorry then, I just don't know then. I have had bowls bleed stain, leaves an almost nicotine like stain on the hand, but I have never run into what you are describing.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Its an old pipe and it could probably use a long rest. Besides I got 2 estates and one SD cob comming so no worries. Just thought it was weird and thought it might be the start of burn out or retirement for the old boy.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Thanks Mike and nsfisher. I am going to pack this one up and get it cleaned this weekend. Down to 2 pipes the rest of the day...at least till I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.