PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sabol

Lurker
May 17, 2020
My grandfather, a pipe smoker, in the late 50's had a little marble-like thing with a small statue of a dog and a narrow piece of metal about 3 inches long that I think came out of the dog's head. I think it had to do with pipe smoking. Tobacco grinder? Some kind of pipe cleaner? What was it?

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Maybe a pipe tamper. A tamper is used to tamp down the tobacco to keep the burning ember in contact with the tobacco

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROB's is definitely a pipe rest, if that is the same item described in the OP, though I can certainly imagine a dog themed tamper. The fifties were a hay day for pipe smoking, so there were many pipe related accessories.

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROB's is definitely a pipe rest, if that is the same item described in the OP, though I can certainly imagine a dog themed tamper. The fifties were a hay day for pipe smoking, so there were many pipe related accessories.
He said a marble item like a dog with a 3" metal piece...
that would be awfully big for a tamper IMO.

most of the metal "scoop" pipe rest pieces seem about three inches.

Reactions: danimalia

Bill Sabol

Lurker
May 17, 2020
No picture, but it must have been a tamper. Correction: I don't think the pick was in the dog"s head, but there was a hollow vertical part it went into.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.