PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
This morning I watched The Lord of the Rings while smoking my pipe, and it got me thinking. What pipe tobacco blend out there could you see yourself smoking while sitting at the Green Dragon drinking a pint?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate in a churchwarden here.
img_20160103_085359-600x450.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have read in many places that the actors smoked Stokkebye's Nougat during filming so either that or one of the blends Tolkien smoked. I believe the Country Squire has a blend named Green Dragon.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the actors on set, when presented with choices of tobacco to smoke on camera, overwhelmingly chose Stokkebye's Nougat.
Myself, I think if I were at the Green Dragon having a pint I'd have to have a bowl full of JackKnife Plug. :)

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Old Toby of course, this is fictional after all and with New Zealands smoking laws it is not going to happen!
If it were possible I'd go with Capstan as a nod to Tolkien.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
This is a great list of baccys I need to try. Never even thought about the Tolkein tribute stuff.
Warhorse !!

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Wow there are some awesome tobacco listed here. I think McClelland Frog Morton's Cellar would be a good smoke at the Green Dragon.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That's an interesting question, as I don't recall Tolkien ever describing the tobacco flavors themselves. I have smoked an "Old Toby" from a couple of different blenders, and never the same thing twice. I would bet that Gimli would be smoking a meaty Latakia, the Hobbits puffing on infused tobaccos with maple or honey flavors, and Aragorn smoking something fermented like

Perique. Myself, I think Frog Morton on the Bayou in an old Clay Churchwarden would be keeping in the spirit of things.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
This is an interesting post! Every time I watch those movies I wonder what they are smoking in there pipes.

@rigmedic1 I like your thinking about what they would smoke
@chasingembers That's a beautiful collection of Churchwardens!

Status
Not open for further replies.