PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Good afternoon. I just joined the forum and made a post in the new member thread. I do have a question for you fine people though. I recently pipe smoking a few months ago and after trying many brands have discovered what I like. I want to start stocking up, but I have a question about storage.
I really like the Mac Baren HH series, ODF and Latakia flake will probably be my daily smoke and light up the Bold Kentucky on my weekends. I will be stocking up soon, but the tins are square and I need to know any bad experiences with these tins losing their seal. I much prefer the fold and stuff method of smoking flake, especially this brand it fits so perfectly in my pipes with zero burn issues and so I would like to keep them in their tins to maintain their shape. I feel like they would probably lose their shape over time if I jarred them. I was gonna start looking for square shaped container options if leaving them in the tins long term isnt an option. Thanks for yall's advice.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've not had any issues with the Mac Baren square tins so far with my oldest being from 2017 or 2018. Whether it's from the HH line or the Capstan brand, their square tins have continued to hold seals at least so far to the 4-5 year mark.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
I've not had any issues with the Mac Baren square tins so far with my oldest being from 2017 or 2018. Whether it's from the HH line or the Capstan brand, their square tins have continued to hold seals at least so far to the 4-5 year mark.
Ok thanks thats good to know. I am hoping somebody chimes in that has had their tins for 10+ years.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Buy the pound boxes and jar them, less to stress over.
Do you know if they lose their shape while jarred up long term? As I mentioned I much prefer smoking flake and using the fold and stuff method. I want to maintain their shape and worried overtime they will bend and crumble while stored in a jar long term. Thanks

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Do you know if they lose their shape while jarred up long term? As I mentioned I much prefer smoking flake and using the fold and stuff method. I want to maintain their shape and worried overtime they will bend and crumble while stored in a jar long term. Thanks
Depends on how you store them. I put my flakes and coins in mason jar, and flakes do lose their shape. But it's due to the fact I just drop them into a jar. Most of my jars are not wide enough to lay out the flakes nicely on the bottom.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Depends on how you store them. I put my flakes and coins in mason jar, and flakes do lose their shape. But it's due to the fact I just drop them into a jar. Most of my jars are not wide enough to lay out the flakes nicely on the bottom.
Yeah that is exactly what I was worried about. I was thinking if I have to store them out of the tin I will need to find a good square shaped container that is airtight so they can be laid out rather than upright in a mason jar. Thanks

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I stand my flakes up in jars and haven't experienced any issue. Especially with Mac Baren, their pressing and CNC like cutting of flakes is very firm and precise.

Like Chasing Embers said, I buy the 1 pound boxes of HH Pure Virginia and jar them. I store them on end in the jar. If it was some other manufacturer, I'd say sure maybe they won't hold perfect but Mac Baren flakes are so distinctively firm and crisply cut.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
I stand my flakes up in jars and haven't experienced any issue. Especially with Mac Baren, their pressing and CNC like cutting of flakes is very firm and precise.

Like Chasing Embers said, I buy the 1 pound boxes of HH Pure Virginia and jar them. I store them on end in the jar. If it was some other manufacturer, I'd say sure maybe they won't hold perfect but Mac Baren flakes are so distinctively firm and crisply cut.
Oh wow that's good to hear. What is the longest you have had your Mac Baren flakes in a jar? If they maintain their shape I'm about to load up on the Ball 8ozers and will be buying the bulk boxes. Thanks

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Worth mentioning the 1 pound boxes of flakes are longer than what comes in a tin. I tend to cut them in half and put in 1/2 pint ball jars but I rub my flakes out so it's of no concern to me.

Reactions: vosBghos

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Thats a beautiful sight, ok so looks like I'll be making Ball (and Mac Baren) very happy. Appreciate your help.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Worth mentioning the 1 pound boxes of flakes are longer than what comes in a tin. I tend to cut them in half and put in 1/2 pint ball jars but I rub my flakes out so it's of no concern to me.
LOL yeah I just finished watching a youtube video on the Mac Baren boxes. I will probably just stick to the tins so that I dont have to cut them and possibly diminish the integrity of the flake. Thanks again

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just for the sake of comparison, consider adding an ounce of ODF ready rub to one of your orders.

I enjoy the ODF flakes also, but have found the RR to be very enjoyable. It's less costly and more convenient to have a jar of RR on the side for those times when you just want to get into a quick, easy smoke.

The whole HH line is wonderful. If that's all I had in my cellar, I'd consider myself well stocked.

1663625175999.png

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my ODF was bought in 2012. It smokes great and I have a dedicated pipe to it since I bought them. When I was buying them the tins were cheap. 9.99 and 10.99 is all I paid as PC and SP both had sales within a week or 2 of each other if memory serves. I bought 65 tins and the only issue was a bit of rust in the tin but the heavy duty foil protected the tobacco from touching the metal.

The tins I bought were all 3.5 oz size as that was all they offered. If they had bulk and tins at the same time I still would have bought the tins as I hate jars.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Just for the sake of comparison, consider adding an ounce of ODF ready rub to one of your orders.

I enjoy the ODF flakes also, but have found the RR to be very enjoyable. It's less costly and more convenient to have a jar of RR on the side for those times when you just want to get into a quick, easy smoke.

The whole HH line is wonderful. If that's all I had in my cellar, I'd consider myself well stocked.

View attachment 170207
I second this I have a jar of the ODF RR from Jan 2018 that was gifted me by a member and man oh man did it age well practically smokes itself just stuff and puff…