PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It does feel a little stalker-ish, doesn’t it? I think it’s the follower anonymity that ratchets up the unnerving nature. It might not be AS bad if you knew who was following you...like, on Twitter, I can see exactly who is following me, but on Reddit, followers are anonymous, and there’s this weird feeling that comes with knowing that there are 30-something random people following you around and watching you, and they’re all wearing trench coats and funny mustaches.
and those are the most normal people on reddit.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Getting tons of ads on meds and clinics now?

straight up ads for websites about signs of lung cancer... pretty chilling. the paranoid side of me wonders if my phone hears me cough. The future is strange my friends.

Thats how we'll be diagnosed with medical conditions... through our phone. phones now check your temperature, and monitor your heartrate. It even counts your steps. :eek:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
straight up ads for websites about signs of lung cancer... pretty chilling. the paranoid side of me wonders if my phone hears me cough. The future is strange my friends.

Thats how we'll be diagnosed with medical conditions... through our phone. phones now check your temperature, and monitor your heartrate. It even counts your steps. :eek:
probably because you search tobaccos

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

Actually, if you use crap like Siri or Alexa or Cortana or any of those AIs your device is indeed listening to you. In order to pick up and respond to commands like 'hey siri' your thingamagig must be in a perpetual listening mode. It could easily be coded to listen (but not respond) to conversations, ambient sounds, and a full plethora of et ceteras. The future looks not so dismal if it includes we chucking all these electronics and doing without.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Actually, if you use crap like Siri or Alexa or Cortana or any of those AIs your device is indeed listening to you. In order to pick up and respond to commands like 'hey siri' your thingamagig must be in a perpetual listening mode. It could easily be coded to listen (but not respond) to conversations, ambient sounds, and a full plethora of et ceteras. The future looks not so dismal if it includes we chucking all these electronics and doing without.

There wont be anything like that in my house.. but sadly, most phones come pre set to listen for commands..

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There wont be anything like that in my house.. but sadly, most phones come pre set to listen for commands..
Yup. I have pisSiri disabled, but with every iteration of iOSux crApple has made it all the more difficult to get rid of the thing. It used to be a single setting radial button; now you have to disable the thing app by app by app. At least till version 12.x, that's where I stopped updating.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm mystified by the Follower feature. It sounds a little too much like Twitter or like stalking, but someone might find it useful. I think it is the subject of the thread and then the interplay that is interesting. Maybe if one member has a strong interest that you share? It's the members who I might not think to follow who often turn up the most interesting information or opinion.

I think "following" is a form of adoration, and by it that the adored's posts are highlighted so as to be front and center in the follower's attention; but just guessing.

But I wouldn't follow anyone though there are many who post well. It's easy enough to pay attention to the poster.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So when you get 1000 followers, I say make a run for president. By the time you are asked for your credentials, you'll have 2000. Reference this board, known not very far and too wide for its opportunistic sagacity and liberal intake of BROBS' roach ooze. You're a natural!

There have recently been some kind fellas and a lady who responded favorably to my jest, but I am paring back my goals to a more modest 500.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When asked about the internet Joni Mitchell said 15 years ago, "Not me, Big Brother." I thought this paranoid until I heard about the data brokers. It's big business, getting and selling your information in the open marketplace without any restriction. Perfectly legal. From what I hear they can get as much information as they want from a variety of sources. One thing leads to the next. Count on the fact that not only do they know about you, they also know everything about everyone else.

I've heard that they track you through your cell, which is always with you. Makes sense.

I ger downright irate when I'm asked for any digit from my SSN or a merchant thinks he has the right to my personal information. "Oh, you're not going to do business with me unless I give you my address? F*ck off! you scurvy bounder."

Ominous signs:
1. Offices are held by virtue of a redneck electorate.
2. NSA is privy to every communication.
3. Data brokers buy and sell personal information legally.
4. News outlets are corporately owned.
5. The 1% who have all the money and power want nothing more than increasing their wealth and power.