PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
So I have read that when re-staining a pipe, people always mention using leather dye thinned out with alcohol. I was just wondering why no-one ever mentions using stains like Minwax? Is there something in the Minwax that shouldn't go onto pipes, or is just that the alcohol based dyes set quicker? Or is there another difference between the two that I should know about???

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
I believe Minwax is designed/formulated for furniture, primarily. I'd read the ingredients if available.
I'm sure everything I can pronounce is probably no good for you, and everything that I can't pronounce is probably definitely bad for a person

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Not really sure, all I have ever used is Fiebing's leather dye on pipes. Straight from the bottle. I use other dye on knife handles and find the leather dye (alcohol based) to give a bit more uniform color.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
So I have read that when re-staining a pipe, people always mention using leather dye thinned out with alcohol. I was just wondering why no-one ever mentions using stains like Minwax? Is there something in the Minwax that shouldn't go onto pipes, or is just that the alcohol based dyes set quicker? Or is there another difference between the two that I should know about???

I love it when someone asks a question that I’ve thought over before but have yet to ask. Since starting my new restoration hobby (and I mean exactly that — I’m literally just starting out, intending to go well beyond the simple ‘deep/salt’, etc cleaning).

Like you, I’d just taken it on faith that the answer is leather dye.

Fair question I say. I will admit to staining a stem on a cob with MinWax, but no briars.

Reactions: john019

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Briar just doesn't take oil based stain like other woods. You can put all the Minwax on you want, you'll get a stinky pipe that has about 2% more color than before. Leather dye is the way to go, it's what absolutely everyone uses for color on pipes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Minwax is Linseed Oil based. Oil stains don’t penetrate quite as well, tend to sit on surface of the wood. Takes several days to dry, and becomes sticky when heated.

Aniline dyes (such as Fiebing’s) penetrate better because the colorants are more finely ground, and can get into the pores of the wood better. You can use water or alcohol to apply.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.