PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I am finding that small bowls would probably fit my rotation best. So my Question is what diameter, depth and name are some of what might be considered small bowls? What is the grouping thing also I here people talk about group 4 or 5 or 3 what is that?

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I suspect the groups you are talking about are the Dunhill sizes. Bigger number, bigger size with the ODA very large.
I'm not sure exactly what else you want to know but here's a couple of tips. 3/4" is usually consider the optimum diameter because of it's smoking characteristics. As to height if you want a shallow bowl for a shorter smoke some standrad shapes that you might like are Prince and Squat Bulldog. Of course there are many other non-standard shapes too.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Most of my pipes are 3/4" and 7/8" bore with chamber depths of about 1 7/8". I consider anything smaller a small pipe. While I am not very familiar with Stanwell and Savinelli sizes, I do know about Peterson's. I would suggest a 303, 314 or 317 in Peterson's System pipes or a 150, 408 or 221 in their regular pipes.

It would be hard for one to go wrong with any of the three I mentioned.
The group sizes you mentioned are a Dunhill reference as Searock mentioned with a group 1 being a very small pipe, a group 4 an average sized and the ODA large pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Actual dimensions will vary, the group size references capacity.

Cupojoe's video discusses Dunhill sizes.
According to Pipe Smoker, Winter 1984:

O.D. "own design". Denotes a pipe designed by the customer and carved to order. "O.D." stamped on shank. Not made after late 1920's or early 1930's. In 1950 a special series of "ODA" pipes was begun and continued through 1975. These were not carved to order.
This Dunhill MSRP list suggests that the group size has more to do with price-point than anything else! :D

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Cortez, I recently traded away a 1998 848 ODA shell so ODA's were made up until then ar least.

Status
Not open for further replies.