PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I am trying to build knowledge on pipe construction. Often I see mention of a delrin tenon or some other material. What is the reason the tenon is a separate component of the stem? Why not just turn the tenon out the primary stem material? Could it be a matter of strength or material properties?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have wondered this from time to time also. Clay pipes are all one piece and just put them in a fire to clean them. Easy to clean is all I can think of.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t know how pipe makers arrived at this decision, but you can read the properties of different plastics from the manufacturers.

Delrin keeps its dimensions under heat better than acrylic, but doesn’t polish up very well. I’m not sure if that’s the reason, but it does certainly make sense.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"That's it in a nutshell. Sounds like a lot of work, but it goes rather quickly for me as I tend to batch most of that by doing 3-4 stems at a time. Way less time than trying to hand turn tenons on a wood lathe. I also prefer the buttery feel of delrin as a tenon over vulcanite - but that's primarily a personal preference."
-Kurt Huhn

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I appreciate the responses. None of my pipes have a delrin tenon that I know of so it is interesting to hear the preferences for its feel. UHMWPE would probably be a good choice also but very difficult to glue in place. I agree a plastic with lower friction would be a good choice. It seems that is the reason, as well as efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.