PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LimestoneCowboy

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2021
NV, USA
I think of the tobacco as fuel and my responsibility is to manage the air to fuel mixture for the best smoke. I don't have a good feel about what makes the best design to achieve that. For example, I have a MM General and Country Gentleman - if I smoke them without a filter, it's sometimes like I am getting too much air and not enough smoke. I have been experimenting with putting a rolled up piece of paper in their stems (I don't use filters) which seems to balance the drawl perfectly, sometimes.

Also, if I put my fingers over the bowl to restrict the intake, I can get a better smoke sometimes.

Is there some magic ratio between bowl size, stem diameter, and packing that provides the perfect smoke, or is it just something most experiment with till they find the sweet spot?

LimestoneCowboy

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2021
NV, USA
I also sit in front of a fan all day most of the year. I think the ambient airflow burns up a lot of the tobacco. I just got a few windscreens. Does anyone use them and have any opinion about them? They seem to let an awful lot of air through, compared to just putting my fingers over the bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Born and bred in the North, but still like to speak with a drawl at times.

You'll know the sweet spot for you when it happens, but in my experience trying to duplicate it using the same tobacco, pipe, loading style, lighting, ambient air temp and humidity, time of day, mood, hungry or not, otherwise satisfied or not, all play a rôle in frustrating your reproducing that Nirvana smoke. But we still try!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Toast and hawky454
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My cobs have what seems like a larger diameter opening. They are easy for me to over do.

As a wood stove user at former residences, having dried wood aka 20% humidity, and a warm stack, the draw will occur so as to have a effective fire. I try to remember this if I use a pipe.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Finger over the pipe's opening (bowl) is called "stoking" I believe, which helps if you've packed and lit incorrectly to re-light a dying ember. Nothing wrong with that but consider your packing technique (3-step process).

Your need for a filter or restriction also could indicate you've packed it incorrectly, or you have a lower-quality pipe perhaps. Peterson Pipes could be a good middle-ground at around $80 US and last a lifetime.

That there's too much "air" suggests not packed tightly enough perhaps as well, or the blend lends itself to an un-rich experience. Consider buying some other blend, such as Sutliff Private Reserve blends which are excellent, or Boswell Pipes & Tobacco blends.

Draw unlit should be like a soda with resistance. If it's like air, it's too loose. Milkshake dense is too tight. Dump and re-pack with your tool until you get the hang of it. Practice makes a lifetime of perfect. Happy smoking!

1636156996971.png

Reactions: anotherbob