Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I've been thinking about purchasing a few Claudio Cavicchi pipes--CCCC grade clear/honey blonde finish all of them. That said, to anyone that actually owns one, have you ever had any 'issues' with them? Any at all? Problems with the finish, problems with the draught hole, problems with the stems...etc?

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I own two of them, and they are terrific, underrated smokers. I'd never part with them.
You bring up a good point...underrated. To me, the grain and finishing seem to be among the best out here and for only 1/3 of the price; grains and finishes like his seem to be going for over $1,000 and much more per pipe from other makers. This is really what started me thinking...is there maybe something wrong with them that I should know about before dropping $1,300 on three of them? You're saying 'no'.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You bring up a good point...underrated. To me, the grain and finishing seem to be among the best out here and for only 1/3 of the price; grains and finishes like his seem to be going for over $1,000 and much more per pipe from other makers. This is really what started me thinking...is there maybe something wrong with them that I should know about before dropping $1,300 on three of them? You're saying 'no'.
I can only speak about the two I own, and I greatly enjoy them. I've never seen a complaint about Cavicchi pipes in all the years I've been on the forums.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I have more Cavicchi pipes than any other maker, collected over many years. One CCCCC, Four CCCC grades, One CCC, One CC and several blasts. Never any issues and all smoke great.

As more people recognise how good they are the prices have gone up a bit in recent years but they still offer great value for money IMHO, I actualy bought two this year, one new and one estate.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I never herd of them before this thread. I looked them up on eBay. Your right beautiful grain. Do they make traditional shapes? Pot, billard

Reactions: BROBS

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, Castello.....now for the hornets' nest :)

I had to send back one of their high end pipes due to bad drilling. Others also mention a focus on foreign markets as to why they dropped the ball......

• Haha
Reactions: wyfbane and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes, Castello.....now for the hornets' nest :)

I had to send back one of their high end pipes due to bad drilling. Others also mention a focus on foreign markets as to why they dropped the ball......
Well yeah.. I personally am not too into castellos but I’ve heard they’ve had a lot more issues recently.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I have 3 Cavicchi’s and they are perfect pipes. I had a conversation with Brian Levine back when he worked at Smoking Pipes and he thought Cavicchi’s were one of the best values for the price. The policy for Smoking Pipes is that they inspect all pipes when pipe makers send them over to sell. They tell the makers if they don’t pass inspection then they don’t buy them. Claudios response to this in his Italian accent was....” I won’t have that problem, I don’t make a bad pipe”

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have 2 Cavicchi's, one of them a CCCCC. I love them. They smoke great and will never let you down.

They have traditionally been very underrated. $433 for a CCCC tells me they are less underrated than in the past but still a great value. The CCCC's retail for $525 on SP.

They are new, in the box, right?

I would pull the trigger if I were in a PAD phase.

Pics or it didn't happen, though! nnnn

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I never herd of them before this thread. I looked them up on eBay. Your right beautiful grain. Do they make traditional shapes? Pot, billard

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have 2 Cavicchi's, one of them a CCCCC. I love them. They smoke great and will never let you down.

They have traditionally been very underrated. $433 for a CCCC tells me they are less underrated than in the past but still a great value. The CCCC's retail for $525 on SP.

They are new, in the box, right?

I would pull the trigger if I were in a PAD phase.

Pics or it didn't happen, though! nnnn
I think I will pull the trigger after hearing everyone's responses. I plan on buying 3 different shapes, but all CCCC. I think the CCC grain, on average, is a lot less appealing than the CCCC which is only $100 more, and I don't think the CCCCC grain is that much better than the CCCC to justify another $100. But it really doesn't matter, in my opinion, the grain and finish on his pipes is some of the best around, and definitely the best around for the price.

I won't buy all three right away but as they come in; some batches are better than others, but about every month or so I see a CCCC that really knocks your socks off.

Reactions: PipeIT and wyfbane

dad-o-nine

Lurker
Mar 14, 2020
Missouri
I think I will pull the trigger after hearing everyone's responses. I plan on buying 3 different shapes, but all CCCC. I think the CCC grain, on average, is a lot less appealing than the CCCC which is only $100 more, and I don't think the CCCCC grain is that much better than the CCCC to justify another $100. But it really doesn't matter, in my opinion, the grain and finish on his pipes is some of the best around, and definitely the best around for the price.

I won't buy all three right away but as they come in; some batches are better than others, but about every month or so I see a CCCC that really knocks your socks off.
I own about 12 Cavicchis. Mostly CCC and CCCC. They are amazingly beautiful pipes with respect to grain, fit and finish. For my taste they are not as artistic in some cases as perhaps some Danish pipes, but I am all about the value and Cavicchi is the best value by far in my opinion. I have Joura, Dunhill, Eltang as well, but I reach for Cavicchi, I only wish he did a good contrast stain. They smoke very well.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
For guys looking for Italian pipes….never did understand why one would buy a Castello over a Cavicchi.

Reactions: dad-o-nine