PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kyle

Lurker
Jul 4, 2022
I am a newcomer and have been reading a lot of people' posts about breathing. I got a lot of advice and harvest, but the standard is confusing me. I wanted to try to establish something that could be quantified, so I came up with the idea that when you light a pipe, the force of inhalation should be about the same, if the size of the pipe is not confusing. So my question is, How many times as hard do you breathe when you light a pipe as you do when you keep it burning?

• Wow
Reactions: mortonbriar
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Ah hell, sounds like you need help. I did when I first tried a pipe... I was so damned disappointed in my experience with it I almost threw the thing away.

I learned from here.. I've never met a pipe smoker in my life. I read a lot of advice on here, much of it is good advice.

@Chasing Embers has good videos, @cosmicfolklore has written a lot of good directions.. Once you get it, you'll have it. Like ridding a bike.

Yes, you have to puff the pipe, man I hate to say that for some reason, when you light it. It doesn't have to be totally lit like a cigar or a cigarette, you just have to get the fire started. Breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth should keep it lit... If it's dry enough, and you should dry your tobacco. Maybe it takes a few re-lights, that's ok. As you go you'll be able to smoke wetter tobacco, but drier is still better in my opinion.

Good luck! It's worth figuring out.