PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
How is it that one tobacco is currently being manufactured by two different companies at the same time? It appears, through my internet research, that Ogden is the original manufacturer and still is in certain countries but now Mac Baren is also selling it under the same name and graphic design on the packaging. Anyone know why this is? I thought that maybe the Ogden's version was out of production but you can still buy it from GQ.

May 31, 2012
This epic thread has the skinny on the details:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/st-bruno-may-be-coming-back-to-usa
:puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Okay so Mac Baren has been making St. Bruno for Ogden since 2006? Why is it still being sold under Ogden's name in the UK? Is this just an error? Ogden's St. Bruno I'm still confused as to why it's being sold under Ogden's name and Mac Baren's name depending on the country you buy it in.

May 31, 2012
They ain't been making it for Ogden's, they've been making it under license from Imperial Tobacco.
The new tins sold here look like they still have the Ogden's logo too,

Mac Baren bought the name and trademark...

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/st-bruno/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=198924
It's just the way that Glynn lists it under Ogden because traditionally that's who has made it,

similar to how his site lists Warrior under Murray's even though it's made by STG.
The whole affair is confusing because the UK tobacco industry is a historical maze of bigger companies eating all of the smaller companies and it's a bit difficult to sort all out

--- but it's great fun trying to!
It's somewhat similar to how Three Nuns says "Bell's" even though it ain't been made by them since 1904!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jampf-bell-ltd-of-glasgow-three-nuns-very-image-heavy
There's a another whole export/domestic market aspect involved too,

and who had rights for certain brands or names in certain regions.
The UK tobacco industry used to be massive,

now it's a very small fishbowl.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Where I was confused was, I thought the one on smokingpipes.com said "made by Mac Baren" at the top, but I was clearly mistaken.
Thanks, misterlowercase, you always go the extra mile to paint the picture for us, and paint the picture you do!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The real question is how does the stuff taste. I have smoked the 'square tin' US version but I will keep my counsel to myself. What is the forums opinion on the stuff?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I love it, but it's just like the rest of the square tins. Same flake, different topping. The topping tastes the same, the tobacco is wrong. Not nearly as strong as it was. Not a dark flake anymore. Get me started on what the Danes did to Erinmore sometime.

May 31, 2012
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Where I was confused was, I thought the one on smokingpipes.com said "made by Mac Baren" at the top, but I was clearly mistaken.
Thanks, misterlowercase, you always go the extra mile to paint the picture for us, and paint the picture you do!
Thanks for the compliment, the painterly definition is much more appealing than the overly obsessed nerd maniac description! :)
Your question was a good one, and it may be interesting to look at the case of 3 Nuns since it still carries a makers name who died out over a century ago.
When the S. Mitchell branch of Imperial Tobacco bought out Bell they decided to continue using the name associated with the blend because otherwise consumers may have been disgruntled or outraged - 3N had established itself as a high quality product and had earned the consumers confidence, and there's really no good reason to possibly upset the consumers goodwill, so the safe bet is to use the already established name.
This is what they now call "residual goodwill" and it is a strong force to be reckoned with.
here's a good short read on the topic:

http://www.brinksgilson.com/files/wtrgilsonzombie2011_2.pdf
In the case of Ogden's, there is already a built-in popularity (especially in the UK) among consumers who have positive associations with the name and the brand, having grown up with it and in many cases remembering all the massive advertising surrounding it as well, so "ogden's" becomes an avatar of sorts, not the actual thing but a simulacrum, which nonetheless aids to maintain a certain spot in the marketplace.

May 31, 2012
The real question is how does the stuff taste. I have smoked the 'square tin' US version but I will keep my counsel to myself. What is the forums opinion on the stuff?
I haven't tried it yet.
But I did note a certain astringency in the UK pouches I'd smoke, a sort of sting, like it could have used more time in the steam-press...
...in that sense, Condor kills it,

deep creaminess + bold body.
All my loot as of late has gone to stocking more Condor Plug to my hold.
:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Same flake, different topping.
I think I'd agree with this, they all seem the very same or only slightly different if at all.
I've especially noticed this with the STG plugs,

which would have had more vast differences when made by their original Irish makers.
We are now living in the Danish gentrification ghetto,

everything is homogenized for easier production and geared to generate maximum profit.
And the rockstar said:

the world is a vampire.
Pretty much.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
I ordered 5 Tins, and have smoked 3 1/2 thus far. I know Macbaren says they have been making it for Ogden's/ Imperial for the last six years, but to my palate the current stuff that is once again available in the states something is lacking vs the UK stuff I was getting a few months back. This is only my opinion of course! Back to my regular smoke of the Mighty Condor!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My interests grew in this when I finally got around to trying Condor Long Cut. I thought I would go ahead and try a tin of St. Bruno before I spend hundreds of dollars on the Condor.

May 31, 2012
I ordered 5 Tins, and have smoked 3 1/2 thus far. I know Macbaren says they have been making it for Ogden's/ Imperial for the last six years, but to my palate the current stuff that is once again available in the states something is lacking vs the UK stuff I was getting a few months back. This is only my opinion of course! Back to my regular smoke of the Mighty Condor!
I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say Eric, as I know you've smoked a lot of St. Bruno from various vintages.
I'm sorry to hear it didn't click for you, it would have been an acceptable alternative to Condor if the price was more reasonable. I know what a large quantity you smoke and I know that every penny counts, it would've been nice if things had worked out but it sounds like it didn't.
Sounds like Condor is still the King!
PS

Sorry that I've been so out of touch,

I'll give you a call later on today.
:!:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Look forward to talking with you my friend, hope you have been well!
Kindest Regards,

Eric :)

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
I've got a tin of St. Bruno on the way. It will accompany me to a bachelor party on an island, so indeed I will have some desert island smokes with me there as well. I was hoping to pick up some condor plug for the occasion but wasn't sure the overseas shipping would get here in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.