Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I came across a Ser Jacopo Gemma Modica 02 bent Apple but there is no stamping/nomenclature on the pipe. Is this normal? I've not seen a Ser Jacopo pipe without some markings. Price seems too good to be real deal. Any thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My one SJ pipe has full stamping, so I'd be skeptical. Someone with a better knowledge of the brand might know better, but I'd assume it isn't a SJ without more info.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My 3 Ser Jacopos all have the name in script; "Fatta A Mano in Italia"; "Per Aspera Ad Astra"; and where applicable, a shape number and series name (e.g. Picta...) stamped on the shank. Seems to me they put a lot of stock in stamping.

Reactions: 02Knight

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always wanted a SJ, second, I think, in the Italian hierarchy, but I find their shapes clumsy emphasizing angularity with size. Castello can have the same classification, but not all of them to be sure. Their prices have become much more reasonable since the death of their founder.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a Picta 01 and love it, Ser Jacopo makes a fine pipe. As to no stamping, I’d be cautious.....could it be buffed away or raised flush?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Seller has a 99% rating and has some very nice pipes available. Says this is a new pipe, so I too am skeptical since there are no markings. I sent the seller asking about this but have yet to here back. Also odd that it's only $110.00.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302118156128

Oct 7, 2016
Modicas are seconds. They may or may not have fills or visible flaws, fissures, excessive sandpits or bald spots. There are lots of them on eBay as buy it now pipes at prices around $100 give or take. I personally would not buy one without seeing it in hand. As most of these sellers are European, returns can be a hassle for a US buyer.
For not all that much more, you might consider a Ser Jacopo Gepetto. They are not 2nds

This link explains the difference between the two lines

Status
Not open for further replies.