PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have a question for you more experienced pipe makers, which judging by the pictures, its most of you, ... what is the best way to add a nomenclature of some sorts to a pipe? in other words do you guys use a stamp? or a Dremel tool of sorts? I have neither so what would be my best course of action?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nomenclature is usually stamped on by the maker. As a rule repairmen and better restorers can and will do some kinds of stamping but for the most part it's frowned upon. Nomenclature is a primary means of identifying the age and maker of the pipe and alterations are seen as changing that. It's one of the ways counterfeiters use to alter the value of a pipe so people tend to think it objectionable. You can think of a makers stamp almost like you would a copyright. Copying it isn't encouraged.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Right, you get to stamp or etch a pipe when you make it by hand, or as a company when you make it in your workshop or factory. I think it would be extremely bad form to engrave your name or other extra lettering on a pipe.
I do wish that pipe makers would standardize and slightly expand what they put on their stamp, or artisans etch on the briar or other material. I think it should be the maker's name, the place it was made (preferably both nation and city), the date, and a series name or shape code. That's not much, and it would make it possible to own a birth year pipe in any brand. I would prefer house pipes indicate the maker too. The lack of information leaves too many pipes in the unknown category and diminishes their interest and value, in my opinion.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Been over to the pipe makers forum? Answers most any question you'll ever have...
Ive tried... but I haven't been able to hear back from anyone, Ive sent three emails and no responses ... SO either the mods are inactive, they don't want me or they believe I'm a bot!

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Have a look around, there's a few posts regarding stamp application IIRC. You can search and read as a non-member, you just can't post.

They'll verify you eventually - it does take a while though. Busy at the workbenches I suppose...

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Sossner steel stamps or Durable Engravers can make what you're looking for. Ain't cheap though

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Captain, when you say my own pipes are you referring to pipes you have made? Maybe I misunderstood you question.
Yes, its my own made pipe... I would never think of doing something like changing the nomenclature on someone else's pipes, even if it were a "no name" pipe.
Nice looking out though :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This always scares the crap out of me....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-UjjIUBJ5A
Related

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stamping-briar

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I've had stamps made by both Buckeye Engraving and Infinity Stamps.
With Buckeye, you have to call them to get anything done. You have to call to get updates after the estimated time for completion is over. In my case, I had to open up a dispute with paypal to get them to ship my stamps and respond to my emails. Otherwise, the stamps are fine quality for around a hundred bucks a piece.
Infinity Stamps is an absolute pleasure to deal with. They are great communicators, quick to respond to emails, always pick up the phone when called. The worry free service, however, will cost you about twice as much as Buckeye. Still, top quality product though...
A&M Steel Stamps is also highly recommended in the community, but I have not yet ordered anything from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.