PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
tJZso52.jpg

Got a new pipe from ebay for 8 smackers, and I'm cleaning it up(Strong Lakeland ghost of course, the world would implode if I would for once get a pipe on ebay that didn't reek of Dove soap). Not sure if you can see, but the stinger is unlike most jeantet stingers I see, and the pipe itself is only stamped "Jeantet"(Older pipe?). This is relevant because I can't remove the stinger easily at all, and have no idea if it's even removable, and don't want to use too much force since the metal looks brittle. My question is, does anyone know if this older jeantet stinger is removable, and also how would I approach removing the metal is all corroded and stuck. I believe this stem is vulcanite since it's somewhat oxidized. Should I soak it in something? If so, what? Maybe run hot water through it? Thank you for reading.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’d soak it in 91% alcohol overnight then grab the stinger with vice grips and twist it out. ?

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I’d soak it in 91% alcohol overnight then grab the stinger with vice grips and twist it out. ?

I too want to do this(don't have vice grips.. or pliars... or tools really, weird situation at home), but I tried to straighten the stinger because it wasn't even and it was fairly pliable. It looks like someone had twisted it before trying to unscrew it(assuming it even screws in) or loosen it or something, and bent it in the process. Straightening was kind of easy. I think if I put a lot of force on it the metal will snap right off. Hmmmmm.... decisions decisions.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
you could also try warming it on the stinger only with a lighter then grab it with a hot pad or something and try to pull it out slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.