PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I don't know about seconds, honestly. I suspect that, when grown for pipes (they use a sort of block or mold to form them) the results are relatively uniform and nearly all end up useable. Pioneer had a script "P" stamp used on some stems, but I've never personally seen a stamped Pioneer calabash, and I believe they just weren't. When new, some Pioneers came with a hang tag identifying them, reading "Genuine block meerschaum by Pioneer."

I've seen more variance in size (but not shape) in the Austrian calabashes by Strambach, which were sometimes flared like trumpets, sometimes narrower, and ranged from medium to huge. Now, antique ones, I've seen everything from the deep U-shapes to horn/oliphant shapes (I have one of those).

Reactions: Greg J

Greg J

Lurker
Jul 30, 2021
Ah, good to know, thanks. For the Pioneer ones you have, how is the alignment between the part of the gourd with the bowl (circled in red in the attached photo for reference) and the part of the gourd with the "shank"? (circled in blue). By "alignment" I simply mean, if you're holding the pipe straight in front of you as you would when taking a puff on it, does the "shank" part line up straight with the bowl part or does it bend to the left or right.

The reason I ask is because I found another one for sale that is in good condition (and the seller said the bowl is block meerschaum) for only $125. I liked everything about it except that the alignment was too off (the shank part bent to the left). I know that, due to them being hand made from still growing gourds, they're almost never going to perfect, but this one was just a little too off for my liking. Again, purely an aesthetic thing, but sill important to me.

Attachments

• calabash.png
    calabash.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 3

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah, good to know, thanks. For the Pioneer ones you have, how is the alignment between the part of the gourd with the bowl (circled in red in the attached photo for reference) and the part of the gourd with the "shank"? (circled in blue). By "alignment" I simply mean, if you're holding the pipe straight in front of you as you would when taking a puff on it, does the "shank" part line up straight with the bowl part or does it bend to the left or right.

The reason I ask is because I found another one for sale that is in good condition (and the seller said the bowl is block meerschaum) for only $125. I liked everything about it except that the alignment was too off (the shank part bent to the left). I know that, due to them being hand made from still growing gourds, they're almost never going to perfect, but this one was just a little too off for my liking. Again, purely an aesthetic thing, but sill important to me.

Greg J

Lurker
Jul 30, 2021
Wow, that was brave of you to even try. I would've been too nervous of damaging it.

The thought did cross my mind of trying to find a calabash expert who could possibly reshape it, but after a quick, fruitless google search I came to the conclusion that this would be either impossible or at least very difficult. I think my best bet is to just keep looking for ones for sale and be patient.

Btw, if anybody reading this thread wants to buy a very good condition, authentic calabash gourd pipe with Turkish block meerschaum bowl, and you're not all that concerned that it's not perfectly straight, the one I almost bought (not the one on ebay that I mentioned at the very beginning of this thread) is a really good deal at only $125. Again, the only reason I didn't end up buying it is because the aesthetics of the pipe are really important to me, so the alignment of the pipe being a little off kind of bothered me. It doesn't affect the smoking performance one bit. Like I said, it's purely an aesthetic thing.

Anyway, here is the link to the listing on the seller's site:
CERAMIC & MEERSCHAUM PIPES – CALABASHES, SMOOTH & FIGURALS - https://rebornpipes.com/rebornpipes-store/meerschaum-pipes-smooth-figurals/ (the pipe I'm referring to is the third one from the top)

Steve, the guy who runs the site, buys vintage pipes at estate sales and then restores them himself. From what I can tell, he is very experienced and knowledgeable about pipe restoration and does great work. He has all sorts of vintage pipes for sale. Just click on "WELCOME TO THE REBORNPIPES STORE" and you'll see a drop-down menu that lists all the various types of pipes he has on offer. He's also very responsive, so he'll promptly answer any questions you have.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for your input, and apologies for the delayed reply.

I agree that it's probably not a big deal, as long as it is block meerschaum and not pressed. The seller is asking $169 for it, which judging from what I've seen elsewhere doesn't actually seem to be all that bad a price. But again, that is only if the bowl is block meerschaum. When I contacted the seller, he told me that it is block, but I noticed the listing for the pipe makes no mention about that, which makes me kind of suspect. I definitely wouldn't buy it if it's pressed.
and that's one of those things where someone could easily plead ignorance. Saying I really thought it was block and not pressed. I mean there is enough shades of doubt it be easy to get away with.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have a Pioneer gourd calabash with a block meerschaum bowl purchased new in the 70s and it does not have any markings. Mine also has a slight bend in the gourd to the left which actually works well for me as it moves the bowl slightly away from my face when I hold it right handed.

Greg J

Lurker
Jul 30, 2021
and that's one of those things where someone could easily plead ignorance. Saying I really thought it was block and not pressed. I mean there is enough shades of doubt it be easy to get away with.
Yeah that occurred to me. Or maybe whoever sold it to him said it was and he's just going by that. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: anotherbob

Greg J

Lurker
Jul 30, 2021
I have a Pioneer gourd calabash with a block meerschaum bowl purchased new in the 70s and it does not have any markings. Mine also has a slight bend in the gourd to the left which actually works well for me as it moves the bowl slightly away from my face when I hold it right handed.
Ah, it never even occurred to me that—as a right-handed person—the gourd bending to the left could actually work in my favor! As the saying goes, I suppose I shouldn't let perfection be the enemy of good!