Question About Heat / Flame To Raise Dents On Vulcanite Stems...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Hey guys,

I’ve seen this done many times and again, reading a rebornpipes article, he explains it and they always seem to get a good result from this. At least enough to lessen any sanding needed.

I am pretty experienced in most restoration and I just have never seen a difference when I try. I’ve over done it for sure. I’m more careful then the first few times.
Today, I took several before pictures and after pictures and lined them up in a collage of Side-By-Side. I didn’t see any difference.
What are your experiences with this? I know it doesn’t work every time but it has never worked for me in the slightest.
I’d just like to decide if I should dismiss this or keep trying.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Peter

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I've had great results but I use a flame and not a heat gun.
Yeah. I’ve been using a lighter. Tried a candle. How long are you doing it for? Are you slowly heating it or putting the flame to it? I try to go just before it’ll bubble or burn and move the flame around to prevent that. Anywhere from 5-20 seconds depending how hot it gets. Not sure why I’m not seeing results over 5-6 stems or more I’ve tried it on. Just not sure if I’m doin it differently.

Reactions: mingc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah. I’ve been using a lighter. Tried a candle. How long are you doing it for? Are you slowly heating it or putting the flame to it? I try to go just before it’ll bubble or burn and move the flame around to prevent that. Anywhere from 5-20 seconds depending how hot it gets. Not sure why I’m not seeing results over 5-6 stems or more I’ve tried it on. Just not sure if I’m doin it differently.
I just pass the tip of an Old Boy flame back and forth across the dent until it lifts.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Funny timing but I just tried this today for the first time on a pipe I don’t care about much. Light chatter and oxidation with one moderate dent. Just winging it but I painted the bite zone with a lighter gently and buffed with a jewelers cloth. Seems to have work okay.

At first I wasn’t aggressive enough but once I held the flame a bit longer I got a sense of the heat and a tiny whiff of that burnt rubber smell but not enough to melt or bubble. I could tell right away it was working because there was a smudge of soot coming off on the cloth. Did this several times allowing the stem to cool a bit between and the chatter and dents were much better and the oxidation mostly gone. I will hand polish a little more and put some obsidian or mineral oil on and call it good.

I’m not going to lie, it would be terrifying with my best pipe! But it was something I’ve been wanting to try. Starting with a beater (garage / shop) pipe I was indifferent to was perfect.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I am pretty experienced in most restoration and I just have never seen a difference when I try.
I have used both open flame and heat gun on stems.
In my experience it is the type of dent, or rather the cause, that is more determinative of success than the heat source.
If what you are looking at is actually a dent then you can achieve some good results by heat. By the “type” of dent I mean a compression from a tooth. Applying heat resets the stems “memory”.
However, if what you have is a gouge created from wear or a bad scrape then there is nothing to raise and no amount of heat will replace the missing stem material.
Just my experience.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I‘ve used this method dozens of times with a butane lighter to erase chatter and it has worked perfectly and almost instantly every time. Heat with a sweeping motion for 5 seconds or so and then immediately wipe with a soft cloth. I‘ve never tried it on a deep indentation but I doubt it would work- it would require targeting the heat in a much more precise way than I think I’d be able to manage.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Definitely works with a butane passing over. Vulcanite seems to work better than acrylic but they both will smooth out. Never tried it on bad gouges but my teeth marks pop right out.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Back in my straight razor restoration days I used high grit wettable sand paper to take out scale imperfections Auto parts carry these papers in the paint and body section. 1500-2500 grit is what I would use rather than heat.

On my fountain pen restorations I used Mother Mag polish on "hard black rubber" which I think it similar material to pipe stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.