PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Call me weird, but I never found the taste from a Meerschaum bowl, may it be inside a Calabash, or a normal pipe, to be any better, than a well broken in briar. The taste always is kind of muted, like a fresh briar, but it does not improve, like most briars do. For the record, I have also tried Andreas Bauer in this regard, which is said to use top quality Meerschaum.

The Calabash I owned had a similar taste/smell, like Foggy's, but it was not the bowl, but the gourd itself, which was treated with something, which smelled and tasted really awful.
Best regards,

Peter

Aug 14, 2012
meerqueen: What you say is interesting, but I beg to differ. If I recall correctly I was told it was composited or pressed when I got it from the Wally Frank store on Madison & 43rd. The price was very low, around $12 new.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi All,

If you say late of 1960's then I will accept it.:) but in 1950's there should not be pressed bowls.

Actually I am 39 years old and I was not born in that time but we have this technology since 1963.actually as I know we are the only company that owns these technology in the world.

I will talk about pressed meerschaum issue later.I will planing to write an article about it and hopefull we will be publishing it only pipesmagazine.com :)
We used this technology in meerschaum linings,meerschaum bowls,make your own pipe kits and mini pipes and decorative figurals

Now we just use this technology only meerschaum bowls and meerschaum linings

Pressed meerschaums are always better than grade 3 block meerschaum as these pressed products are made of grade 5-6 block meerschaums.that's why we give lifetime guarantee to our meerschaum bowl .
Again I talked too much :)
For gourd pipes that we are adding in june-july period: half of them will be from african gourd and half of them will be from usa gourds :)
Regards,

B.B

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
>I will talk about pressed meerschaum issue later. I will planing to write an article about it and hopefull we will be publishing it only pipesmagazine.com.
I'd be really interested of learning on the matter of pressed meerschaum and it's use currently and in history. Over the years I've read so much conflicting "facts" about it that I don't know what to believe anymore. It would be great to hear from someone who's in the (manufacturing, not just sales) business.
Here's some of the "facts" about pressed mere I've read on the Internets:
  • "Most cheaper meers from Turkey are made of pressed meerschaum." (…and not carved from lower quality block)[/*]
  • "Some cheap meerschaum pipes are made from meerschaum by pressing it in a mold." (not carved from pressed block.)[/*]
  • "Calabash bowls made of pressed meerschaum will disintegrate over time." (Will the bowl of my Strambach calabash crumble at some point?!)[/*]
Here's hoping that you have time to answer some of these questions.
Many thanks!

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi Jarit,
Question 1 "Most cheaper meers from Turkey are made of pressed meerschaum." (…and not carved from lower quality block)
Fact 1: Press technique is very complex and expensive technology :) There is no pressed meerschaum pipe PRODUCTION for a long time. cheaper meers are carved from lower quality blocks.
Question 2 "Some cheap meerschaum pipes are made from meerschaum by pressing it in a mold." (not carved from pressed block.)
Fact2 Same here.cheaper meers are carved from lower quality blocks.

I didnt see anyone who uses mold.if it is done with molds, There should not be an expensive press technology :)
Grade 6 block meerschaum price (palm size) is around 25 US$.there are other expenses like,stem,case,business costs etc. So actual cost is around 45 $ for a palm size grade 6 meerschaum pipe.this means that you can not buy a palm size grade 6 meerschaum pipe lower than 45 $ :) The factors which affects the label price is mostly workmanship.Thats why we show the grade of workmanship and grade of block meerschaum on product labels for each product.If the pipe has a signature and the artisan is well known than the price is getting higher and higher.
Question 3 "Calabash bowls made of pressed meerschaum will disintegrate over time." (Will the bowl of my Strambach calabash crumble at some point?!)
Fact 3. We sell those pressed meerschaum calabash bowls since 1963 and we have not faced big problems.Thats why we give 5 years warranty for meerschaum bowls.If something happened then we replace them .There are some points which needs to be carefull for pressed meerschaum bowls.The first one is not to touch or move the bowl while it is hot and also the bowls should not be contact with any liquid.
I hope this helps.
Regards,

B.B

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Many thanks for your kind answers, B.B.!
Very helpful, indeed. Some of these odd myths about pressed meerschaum that are making rounds on the internet don't make any sense at all.
Jari

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Waiting for Kevin's instructions :)
Meanwhile you can ask me anything about pressed meers and block ones

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
What is " meerqueen " web site for sales ??
my browser is not functioning to search
please give me the url
thanks

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
True gourds are neat they are very light. I would say depends if your an indoor or outdoor smoker? A calabash is a good pipe to sit down and smoke with but not the best if your from the north and outside with that thing. My thoughts on smoking one it is a different experience for sure but personally I prefer briars or real meerschaums. I also like churchwardens exspecially ones you can switch out stems i.e Hans Christian Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.