New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have been on here, I have watched folks shoot those type of jars down repeatedly. But, really they are sealed with a thicker layer of silicone than a Mason jar. Plus, there is actually tension on the seal by way of the mechanics; whereas, the Mason jars rely on the tobacco sucking up the oxygen in the jar to pull the lid down tight (or by vacuum of heating the jars or pressure cooker). The ring does not apply pressure to the seal.
I would think the seal would break down faster if you were continually opening and closing the jar, but if you just close it for the long haul that seal would most likely last longer than a Mason jar.

I am pretty sure you can also order new seals for that type of jar also.

So, to go against the flow, I give it my "Cosmic" seal of approval.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I had some IKEA ones in use. They had white seals and there was some noticeable drying going on. Then I switched to jars of similar construction sold by a company named Leifheit. Those have red seals and the lid is pushed down with more force. My oldest of these does keep the tobacco in great condition since about two years.

That is all ridiculous.
I am headed out now to get me a few more of these to see if they are really all that bad. To propose a notion that what is stored in it will dry out within 6 weeks is ludicrous. I can leave a tin of tobacco open in my house for six months and it won't dry out.

This sort of jar is actually better engineered than a Mason jar, because the lid is not designed to actually be pinched down tighter by the ring on a Mason jar. This type is actually sealed by the lid.

I could see maybe if you had one and was maybe wear and tearing it by opening it and closing it, maybe with a lot of force, slamming it closed or something... But, if you just put tobacco in it and closed it, and set it aside... what do you guys propose is causing the leak? Is it flaws in the glass.

Hmmmm, what sort of test would work best? Fill it with sugar and then submerge the jar in water? Fill with water and wait for it to dry out? I feel another pipesmagazine scientific test coming on...

I've just watched the jars get bunked down with silly things like personal experience or "someone else said...", which is the most unreliable evidence there is. We need some good ol' fashioned pipesmoker science here. puffy

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Hmmmm, what sort of test would work best? Fill it with sugar and then submerge the jar in water? Fill with water and wait for it to dry out? I feel another pipesmagazine scientific test coming on...

One could "jar" Boveda packs of the same weight along with an hygrometer in different type of jars of the same volume and check the humidity on a regular basis, while making sure that the temperature is constant. After a while you could also weight the Boveda packs.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
One could "jar" Boveda packs of the same weight along with an hygrometer in different type of jars of the same volume and check the humidity on a regular basis, while making sure that the temperature is constant. After a while you could also weight the Boveda packs.
How does a Boveda pack work that this would tell us if it is not airtight? Don't they just release PGs or something?

Reactions: burleyboy

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve used the Fido jars for years, and the tobacco feels, taste, and smells the same. I suspect that if storing for longer than a couple years, then this might not be the case. I echo the above... the quality and sealing of the jar is certainly a factor.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.