PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I think Warren has given the best answer. My last shipment of Gauloises from Holland was 'aquired' by British customs and I never heard anything of them again. Shipping tobacco has become something of an adventure. There are probably US border laws, not to mention EU export laws, to contend with.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I think Warren has given the best answer. My last shipment of Gauloises from Holland was 'aquired' by British customs and I never heard anything of them again. Shipping tobacco has become something of an adventure. There are probably US border laws, not to mention EU export laws, to contend with.
Good to know .
Have you found anything comparable?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’m going to the UK next year looks like I’ll be hopping a ferry to France from England , jeez the extents I will go on my quest…?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I’m going to the UK next year looks like I’ll be hopping a ferry to France from England , jeez the extents I will go on my quest…?
Because? Aren’t whatever customs rules apply to the situation the same whether you are on a ferry or a plane, for example?

Reactions: AJL67

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Because? Aren’t whatever customs rules apply to the situation the same whether you are on a ferry or a plane, for example?
I think in small quantities once acquired and on your person you are alright with tobacco and alcohol.
I brought home a few pouches from Germany a couple packs from France and a bottle of scotch.
A friend of mine smuggled some peat from Ireland a big no no apparently.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I think in small quantities once acquired and on your person you are alright with tobacco and alcohol.
I brought home a few pouches from Germany a couple packs from France and a bottle of scotch.
Exactly, it's legal to bring back certain amounts - the ferry bit sounded like you thought you were smuggling in some sense, lol. Never mind!

Reactions: vosBghos
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Frm the US to Sweden … guess we’ll know soon what happens with customs there. Declared as a gift and weight .75 ounces so within Swedish customs range.
[ATTACH
Good to know .
Have you found anything comparable?
In the past I smoked for years filterless Gauloises,Gitanes cigaterttes ,then when they reduced nic&tar contents in factory made cigarettes ,I started smoking dark fired Kentucky Ryo tobacco produced in the Netherlands, also on occasion I had French pipetobacco called Caporal Export&Scaferlati Superior, now based on my extended experience with aforementioned products I have to disapoint you by saying apart from pipe tobacco and cigars , all tobacco products sold within the EU are not what they used to be back in the years, those went totally downhill due to changes in nic&tar contents,they are shadow what they were it a total waste of money, whereas French domestic pipe tobacco remains smokable and is reminiscent to Tabas de Semois taste wise but smokes hot , comes dry and are fine ribbon /shag cut by nature

Reactions: vosBghos

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
News to me, after some googling. Apparently theres one way tobacco is allowed to enter France by post from a non-EU country such as the USA- if it is a gift (labelled as such) and stick to very strict limits.

For smoking tobacco its 50 grams. The value should not exceed 45 Euros. See the 'Limites en quantité pour les envois de tabac...' on the French government customs (Douanes) website.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
In the past I smoked for years filterless Gauloises,Gitanes cigaterttes ,then when they reduced nic&tar contents in factory made cigarettes ,I started smoking dark fired Kentucky Ryo tobacco produced in the Netherlands, also on occasion I had French pipetobacco called Caporal Export&Scaferlati Superior, now based on my extended experience with aforementioned products I have to disapoint you by saying apart from pipe tobacco and cigars , all tobacco products sold within the EU are not what they used to be back in the years, those went totally downhill due to changes in nic&tar contents,they are shadow what they were it a total waste of money, whereas French domestic pipe tobacco remains smokable and is reminiscent to Tabas de Semois taste wise but smokes hot , comes dry and are fine ribbon /shag cut by nature
This , I have had the Semois in the Blue brick ( extra large) and I have recently acquired the Brown brick ( medium cut) hoping this will be easier to prepare. I also have the shag on order and a box of his cigarillos.

Am I right in thinking the Caporal that you mentioned is close to Gauloises? As the Semois I’ve had thus far though a beautiful floral nutty burley is nothing like the dark robust flavor of Gauloises which through extensive searches I’ve found had stoved Va in it and Malawi as I’ve said in other threads Kendal dark seems to bring out some of that flavor.
I have some stoved Va also I might have to concoct something but if I could get my hands on some of that Caporal you mentioned that might be the ticket.

thanks for your input on this matter , the search goes on…?

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
  • 200 cigarettes
  • 100 cigarillos
  • 50 cigars
  • 250g tobacco
  • 200 sticks of tobacco for electronic heated tobacco devices
This is what you can bring in to the U.K. form any E.U. country....choose one or mix and match e.g. 100 cigarettes and 125g of tobacco.

............unless you go to Northern Ireland......which is actually part of the U.K. ....but is sort of still in the EU......sort of....cause they cocked it all up.....can't fix it .....and don't know what to do....useless political set of bullshitting bastards that profess to be running the country...............rant over!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
  • 200 cigarettes
  • 100 cigarillos
  • 50 cigars
  • 250g tobacco
  • 200 sticks of tobacco for electronic heated tobacco devices
This is what you can bring in to the U.K. form any E.U. country....choose one or mix and match e.g. 100 cigarettes and 125g of tobacco.

............unless you go to Northern Ireland......which is actually part of the U.K. ....but is sort of still in the EU......sort of....cause they cocked it all up.....can't fix it .....and don't know what to do....useless political set of bullshitting bastards that profess to be running the country...............rant over!
Thanks for the breakdown , that helps a lot.
I hear you on UK and Ireland proper.
It’s nuts , I lived in Belfast for a few months on a job and Galway on another.
Felt like two separate continents …

Reactions: northernpipeshed

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
For those smokers (like me) who enjoy dark french type tobacco on a pipe , very little is available in the states. McBaren manufacture the classic caporal but not avaiable here. There is another very good choice but is from Argentina. The name is Revolution and is made in small batches by My Roth tobacco. The owner is Jano Barbone. I guess you can inquire on the internet but it is my guess that shipping is complicated.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For those smokers (like me) who enjoy dark french type tobacco on a pipe , very little is available in the states. McBaren manufacture the classic caporal but not avaiable here. There is another very good choice but is from Argentina. The name is Revolution and is made in small batches by My Roth tobacco. The owner is Jano Barbone. I guess you can inquire on the internet but it is my guess that shipping is complicated.
I've looked at their Instagram page before, but could never figure out how to order from them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you have never tried them, Cuban cigarettes are the bomb. RYJ, H. Upmann, Partagas, Hoyo De Moneterrey, were my favorites. They are all strong, some have filters others don't as I cannot remember which one did or didn't. They also sell Cohiba cigarettes which were in my opinion the worst. No strength and little flavor.