120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to write quite a bit about breathsmoking, the step by step, but then I got so tired of repeating it on each and every thread where it comes up. It is interesting to see some of the newer folks taking up the quest to describe it.

It is intricate, like describing in words how to shift gears on a manual transmission. We all went through that whole, clutch, shift, gas while gently letting off the clutch balance, and each and every one of ground the gears at least a few times in the beginning... and then put the car on a hill... that's when it gets more difficult... but then when you get the whole thing down pat, you are driving without ever having to think about it. Most of the time, drivers forget they are even shifting, it's just an automatic part of driving.

Breathsmoking is like that. You have to get down the expansion of your gullet with each breath taking in a gentle sip and letting it go as you breath through your nose. Then, next thing you know your whittling while you smoke, or loading firewood, and your not even thinking about what you're doing while you smoke, it just happens.

But, basically, the whole process is merely the art of keeping a fire going with the least amount of effort while doing something else entirely that occupies your mind. Your shifting gears and down shifting while your mind is listening to music or thinking about what you forgot to do at home. Heck, most of the time I don't even think about which roads to take these days. I just end up[ at home and wonder, "How did I get here?"

Reactions: brian64 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s a sophisticated combination of modalities that involves a hair dryer, multiple species of hardwoods chiseled into various custom tools, and an air press. Honestly, I think it’s too advanced for you. The preparatory ceremony alone is outside of the sphere of comprehension for most. Selah.
I hope they are exotic hardwoods.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I used to write quite a bit about breathsmoking, the step by step, but then I got so tired of repeating it on each and every thread where it comes up. It is interesting to see some of the newer folks taking up the quest to describe it.

It is intricate, like describing in words how to shift gears on a manual transmission. We all went through that whole, clutch, shift, gas while gently letting off the clutch balance, and each and every one of ground the gears at least a few times in the beginning... and then put the car on a hill... that's when it gets more difficult... but then when you get the whole thing down pat, you are driving without ever having to think about it. Most of the time, drivers forget they are even shifting, it's just an automatic part of driving.

Breathsmoking is like that. You have to get down the expansion of your gullet with each breath taking in a gentle sip and letting it go as you breath through your nose. Then, next thing you know your whittling while you smoke, or loading firewood, and your not even thinking about what you're doing while you smoke, it just happens.

But, basically, the whole process is merely the art of keeping a fire going with the least amount of effort while doing something else entirely that occupies your mind. Your shifting gears and down shifting while your mind is listening to music or thinking about what you forgot to do at home. Heck, most of the time I don't even think about which roads to take these days. I just end up[ at home and wonder, "How did I get here?"
A good analogy. Super awkward at first, requiring concentration, but once you get it it’s totally second nature and requires zero brain effort.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've had very little luck breath smoking. That could be for any number of reasons. I like to draw, and puff. So for me, my fight is with the bowl getting too hot and also getting full flavor. The best smokes I've had have been with a delicate dance of puffing...when the bowl almost goes out, a few gentle puffs to keep it going. I've gotten the best flavors out of doing it that way. I think again it just simply is however you enjoy. Good luck!
Don't think about it. Just put the pipe in a comfortable spot and just breath focus on your breathing the way you'd normally focus on the pipe. Ignore the pipe. Then when you blow out the smoke be shocked to realize you don't have to work a pipe much at all. That should give you some good footing to figure out the rest.

Reactions: dcicero and brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.