PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

castania

Lurker
May 15, 2018
I hope this is the proper place for this inquiry. If not, I beg your pardon.

I recently discovered a pipe that I acquired in the late 1980s. A boisterous pipe smoker friend took a fancy to a plain CAO meerschaum I was smoking and offered to trade me outright for the pipe he was smoking. His was a large, freehand Preben Holm.

In all honesty, I had know idea who that was at the time, but my friend set great store by it and I didn't really like the meerschaum anyway. So, I traded.

The thing was way too large for me at the time, so I put it away, and forgot about it mostly. Now I'd like to know more about it.

I've done some research, but can't find anything definitive on the particular stamp of this pipe. So, I'm reaching out for help. I've enclosed a photo of the bottom shank. Thanks.

Ken

Attachments

• PXL_20240701_153119174~3.jpg
    PXL_20240701_153119174~3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas. (In case you decide to hang around.)

I cannot offer any information that a cursory online search will not reveal but your approach to asking for help is better than the usual, "I have a pipe. Am I rich?"
Someone can probably help you out.

castania

Lurker
May 15, 2018
1. Contrary to what may be customary, I did not mention nor am I concerned about value. I'm not destitute and the pipe isn't costing anything to keep.

2. I did a Google search and checked links that appeared to offer information instead of sales value or opportunity. I found several close "hits," but none that were exact. The two aforementioned web sites were checked, but it is possible I missed something ...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hope this is the proper place for this inquiry. If not, I beg your pardon.

I recently discovered a pipe that I acquired in the late 1980s. A boisterous pipe smoker friend took a fancy to a plain CAO meerschaum I was smoking and offered to trade me outright for the pipe he was smoking. His was a large, freehand Preben Holm.

In all honesty, I had know idea who that was at the time, but my friend set great store by it and I didn't really like the meerschaum anyway. So, I traded.

The thing was way too large for me at the time, so I put it away, and forgot about it mostly. Now I'd like to know more about it.

I've done some research, but can't find anything definitive on the particular stamp of this pipe. So, I'm reaching out for help. I've enclosed a photo of the bottom shank. Thanks.

Ken
Here's some info for you, if you haven't already seen it:

castania

Lurker
May 15, 2018
@didimauw ... I read both of these but found nothing about "fancy heirloom" ...

@sablebrush52 ... how can one tell if a pipe is a second or not? Most seconds I've seen lack any marking from the maker, obvious though it may be ...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@didimauw ... I read both of these but found nothing about "fancy heirloom" ...

@sablebrush52 ... how can one tell if a pipe is a second or not? Most seconds I've seen lack any marking from the maker, obvious though it may be ...
It depends on the maker. With some makers, a different name is chosen. For example, Mountbatten is a line of seconds made by Charatan. On the other hand, Sasieni and Comoy's had large ecosystems for downstreaming, with 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths. The Sasieni had Mayfair, but it also put its name on a number of sub brands, and then whisked it off for the lower levels. Comoy gave alternative names to it's 2nds and so on. You can read about all of this in the Sasieni and Comoy pages of Pipedia.
With regard to the Preben Holm, there's a lot about his work that is currently lost to time. But information continues to drift to the surface as previously unknown examples turn up.

You can reach out to the larger community as you have, and hope that someone with more information contacts you, and look for catalogs and other literature on the chance that it will provide information. Stuff floats by constantly.

castania

Lurker
May 15, 2018
Based on my experience years ago, I can say this. They look great and smoke bad. I suspect the wood is uncured. puffy
THAT ... is perhaps the most accurate information presented in this inquiry! I'm not well versed in the curing of briar, but the pipe does not provide a pleasant smoke, burns hot, and has to be held for the duration of its enormous bowl -- quite a task, at least for my dental structure. But it does look cool. I suppose I'll just put it back in the unused part of my collection and wait until more information is available ... if ever.