PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
I generally prefer smoking a pipe with a 9mm filter. Recently I acquired 2 Savinelli’s that are both 6mm filters. They are both new pipes and generally each is a representation of one of the 9mm pipes I smoke.

I’m finding that both the 6mm pipes are harsh to smoke compared to the 9mm. They come across as a bit acrid and I get tongue bite; I don’t know if this is because they aren’t broken in or because 6mm filtered pipes smoke harsher than 9mm filtered pipes? I’ve tried them both with a balsa filter and a carbon filter.

Thoughts?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The 6mm balsa “filters” aren’t really filters in the same way the 9mm charcoal filters are. The balsa inserts are triangular, and they are designed for the smoke to pass around them instead of through them. The smoke that’s gone past a balsa insert had some moisture wicked out, but it’s still smoke that’s straight from the ember without going through a medium.

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
I’ve had the same experience with both the balsa and the charcoal filters... but I’m now thinking it has to do with the draw pressure? Does the pace of smoking change depending on the size of the filter? I didn’t think I drew any harder but now I’m wondering.

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
I generally prefer smoking a pipe with a 9mm filter. Recently I acquired 2 Savinelli’s that are both 6mm filters. They are both new pipes and generally each is a representation of one of the 9mm pipes I smoke.

I’m finding that both the 6mm pipes are harsh to smoke compared to the 9mm. They come across as a bit acrid and I get tongue bite; I don’t know if this is because they aren’t broken in or because 6mm filtered pipes smoke harsher than 9mm filtered pipes? I’ve tried them both with a balsa filter and a carbon filter.

Thoughts?

If the stem is large enough it can be bored out to accept the 9mm.