PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Been smoking for awhile but new to branching out. I just ordered 22, two oz bulk tobaccos. A majority of them were Sutliff. Aros, English and a few others. Am I going about it correctly (not that there is one way)? Is Sutliff a poor example of a variety of blends, too cheap? Or is it a good way of going about my explorations. I assume a lesser quality or is it a crappy introduction.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one of my favorites is produced by them. Edward G. Robinson. I don't think there are many low quality pipe tobaccos to be honest. Some are more boring then others but there does seem to be high minimum standard for pipe tobacco. The closest I've come to low quality is overly cased in PG (captain black the scourge of the seven seas is my go to example of what Pg does which keeps a blend from drying and gives a terrible off taste for some)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Generally, I've found Sutliff blends and single leaf good, and the pricing is moderate. sable' always chides people who mock Sutliff, reminding them that premium blenders often buy Sutliff constituent tobaccos for their own blends. If you don't know the sourcing on your premium blend, it may be Sutliff.
which might explain the moderate prices. Since they're getting wholesale prices and the bulk of their biz is supplying blenders (all assumption on my part). But if I am right then they don't need to charge as much because they're getting their leaf cheaper then others and blends aren't their only revenue stream.

Reactions: STP

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sutliff may be the oldest supplier and blender of pipe tobaccos in the US, having been established in 1849 in San Francisco, California. They supply tobaccos to other companies, blend tobaccos for other companies, and produce tobaccos, largely aromatics, under their own banner.
Because the Sutliff name was directly attached to strongly aromatic blends, people made the mistake of characterizing Sutliff simply as a maker of "goopers" as these aggressively topped aros were dubbed. Many of these also happened to be hugely popular and large sellers.
Nonetheless Sutliff bashing became a popular pose among would be "experts" who would endlessly declaim about all things Sutliff. This was often amusing as the "expert" de jour would first extemporize on the woeful quality of Sutliff blend "x" and then singing paeans about some other label's blend as a proof of Sutliff's mediocrity. Why amusing? Because the blend recieving exalted praise was often either made with Sutliff tobaccos, or entirely blended by Sutliff's master blender for other companies, including Peretti, McClelland, H&H, etc. And if anyone still questions what Sutliff can offer, their Cringle Flake 2020 ranks right up the the best matured Red Virginia blends.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Sutliff may be the oldest supplier and blender of pipe tobaccos in the US, having been established in 1849 in San Francisco, California. They supply tobaccos to other companies, blend tobaccos for other companies, and produce tobaccos, largely aromatics, under their own banner.
Because the Sutliff name was directly attached to strongly aromatic blends, people made the mistake of characterizing Sutliff simply as a maker of "goopers" as these aggressively topped aros were dubbed. Many of these also happened to be hugely popular and large sellers.
Nonetheless Sutliff bashing became a popular pose among would be "experts" who would endlessly declaim about all things Sutliff. This was often amusing as the "expert" de jour would first extemporize on the woeful quality of Sutliff blend "x" and then singing paeans about some other label's blend as a proof of Sutliff's mediocrity. Why amusing? Because the blend recieving exalted praise was often either made with Sutliff tobaccos, or entirely blended by Sutliff's master blender for other companies, including Peretti, McClelland, H&H, etc. And if anyone still questions what Sutliff can offer, their Cringle Flake 2020 ranks right up the the best matured Red Virginia blends.
I still have reservations - every bulk sutliff blend I've smoked hasn't offended but also hasn't impressed

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I did the same as you as far as buying a bunch of samples from Sutliff. What you may find when you sample them is that they may be rough around the edges. Just jar them up and sample them 6 months later a year later. For example old koe krantz for me. I wasn't crazy aboit it until a year later and same goes for Virginia Slices.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
well and also snobs are always amusing. And what a thing to be a snob about what strains and processing your plant leafs go through before you burn them in a chunk of wood. "what you like something that flavored like vanilla my word what a barbarian unlike me who likes leafs that taste of barn yard smells like all the best people like".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I still have reservations - every bulk sutliff blend I've smoked hasn't offended but also hasn't impressed
Fair enough, but that doesn't reflect on their quality, just that their "house style" doesn't appeal to you. Most of what C&D makes, that I've tried, doesn't appeal to me. I don't like their house style. A lot of other smokers clearly like C&D's product.

Of the bulks you do enjoy, do you know who actually makes them?

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Fair enough, but that doesn't reflect on their quality, just that their "house style" doesn't appeal to you. Most of what C&D makes, that I've tried, doesn't appeal to me. I don't like their house style. A lot of other smokers clearly like C&D's product.

Of the bulks you do enjoy, do you know who actually makes them?
nope - don't really know as it probably changes hands-
For a while I also had my doubts about C&D style -now, growing on me immensely
For a while I was enjoying the PipesandCigar blends - don't know who was producing those other than seeing the name Russ Oulette
I was a D&R smoker but now I find them too 'rustic'

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
One more thing to consider and it took me a bit to catch onto it is when first starting out is the bulk price vs tin and the date they are blended. A bulk will be newly blended vs a tin may have been made be new or 6 months maybe a year by the time you get it. A tin will be more smokable or less rough around the edges.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The only issue with sampling a ton of blends from one manufacturer is the “house style.” I loved a tour of Mac Baren blends, but had a ton of misses when I toured C&D. I’d find out if I liked a manufacturers style before going so exclusive to them.

Reactions: niblicck

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
nope - don't really know as it probably changes hands-
For a while I also had my doubts about C&D style -now, growing on me immensely
For a while I was enjoying the PipesandCigar blends - don't know who was producing those other than seeing the name Russ Oulette
I was a D&R smoker but now I find them too 'rustic'
Depending on the blend, a lot of Pipes & Cigar and House and Home blends were made by Sutliff. Now, most of them are made by Lane.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have one Sutliff blend in my cellar and it is some tins of Molto Dolce. I am not normally an aromatic smoker, but when I want something sweet and when my mom comes over I can smoke something with a great room note. Yeah it snaps crackles and pops but it actually tastes pretty good and the room note is a killer. No one has ever complained about the smell. I have a dedicated pipe for it and I actually enjoy smoking it the few times that I do. I bought a bunch of tins when there was a big sale and paid around 7 bucks or so a tin. I know I could have bought it in bulk as Creme Brulee is the same stuff allegedly but I will never buy bulk if I have a choice. I don;'t care if I have to pay double.

Status
Not open for further replies.