PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
A question for you seasoned pipesters. What kind of quality are the rattray's pipes? I found some very nice (new) paneled rattray's and I find them quite alluring. At the store, the brand ranges between 100$-200$ and the panels are on the lower end.
I've mainly thought of rattray's as a tobacco blender, am I about to get a tongue-lashing? :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Rattray Highland apple. I think it's made by Chacom for them. It's a nice pipe but I'm not sure they are worth the money being asked these days. For that money I'd look at Savinelli or Mastro Beraldi which are much better in my opinion.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I don't own any but my impression, based on fairly superficial inspection in B&Ms, is to concur with papipeguy. Not a bad pipe, but not a great one either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, papipeguy, for the back story. If Rattray is made by Chacom, I believe I'd look directly at the Chacom line and see if there isn't something there that appeals to you, or also look at Butz-Choquin, another excellent French pipe that offers far above its price level in quality. Both these brands offer excellent pipes even at the sixty to eighty dollar level, and some real beauties at the hundred up level. I don't associate them so much with panel pipes, but they do make a few, if that's what you like. I think you will get a price advantage over the Rattray line and a wider selection as well.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Rattrays pipes are all made by Butz-Choquin, and in most cases made to a sightly higher quality then BC's other pipes. I have had 3 Rattrays and loved them all. Well made, great blasts, and they come with naked bowls rather then coated. I would love to have a 7 day set of Perths and my go to Aro pipe is a black blasted Butcher's boy with the double stems. I would even go so far to say my Rattrays are slightly better then my Petersons.

Reactions: IsaiahSojourner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries has some Butz-Choquin at $57, including, if I remember correctly, a spiffy panel billiard and an author shape, in the Bistro series.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the clarification that it is BC who makes the pipes. I knew they were French so pardon my faux pas. BC makes fine pipes (I have 2). I'm just not sure that the Rattray I have was worth the near $175 price tag.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I have two Rattray's and I think they are great but I cannot compare to many other brands as I have very few pipes. The price just jumped in North America for no real reason (according to my local BM who stopped carrying them). It is worth checking prices in Europe as I have found them much more reasonable for the same pipe.
I would happily buy another Rattray pipe.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have to say that I enjoy my Rattray's Craggy Root #60 pipe immensely, nearly always having it in my rotation since I received it for Christmas in 2013. It is very lightweight for a thickly walled billiard, more of a slightly bent pot, in my opinion. However,

even though it is a great smoker, after a year the rim was out of round, and the stem does not fit in line with the shank anymore.

I think it got splashed by alcohol once, because a few light spots have appeared in the stain. None of that effects the smoking quality, however. It is awesome with Virginia tobaccos.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Wow, thank you guys for the input. There really is a wealth of knowledge here. I'll look into BC, there really is something about that panel shape..

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Rattrays pipes are all made by Butz-Choquin, and in most cases made to a sightly higher quality then BC's other pipes. I have had 3 Rattrays and loved them all. Well made, great blasts, and they come with naked bowls rather then coated. I would love to have a 7 day set of Perths and my go to Aro pipe is a black blasted Butcher's boy with the double stems. I would even go so far to say my Rattrays are slightly better then my Petersons.

Agree 100% with blueeyedogre.
Here's my set when new. The finish and drilling are all spot on. Sadly I do not smoke 'em anymore. The bowls are too small for my habit.

IMG_0070sm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.