PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
I know it's not good for long term storage, but I'd like to put the tobacco I'm currently smoking in the jar that goes with my pipe rack. There's a lid, but unfortunately no rubber ring to create an "air tight seal."

About how long will tobacco be okay in there, or should I just put the Mason Jar of the blend I'm currently smoking in?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I use my rack jars. One has a seal and the other doesn't. Never had problems with the non sealed lid. I mostly keep OTC blends like Granger or SWR in them as they don't dry out quickly. I keep blends in them that I plan on smoking in my regular rotation and are not going to be in the jar for months. Both of the lids have an Aztec button on the bottom that can be wetted to keep the tobacco moist if I think drying out too much might be an issue.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I know it's not good for long term storage, but I'd like to put the tobacco I'm currently smoking in the jar that goes with my pipe rack. There's a lid, but unfortunately no rubber ring to create an "air tight seal."

About how long will tobacco be okay in there, or should I just put the Mason Jar of the blend I'm currently smoking in?
Btw, I had a rack jar with no seal and I just used a rubber mail my mail was wrapped in.

Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
Length of time depends your location, humidity level and moisture in tobacco as well as how many bowls you churn through.
So I'm in San Diego. Pretty mild temps with mild humidity. I was mostly asking about how many days/weeks worth of tobacco I can put in. I tend to go towards aromatic, so they would be more moist than average.

Also, great tip about the rubber band. Searching for one now.