PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Do you guys like smoking a bowl and then putting down to pick it back up later to smoke the remainder?

I’ve noticed that every time I do this, the tobacco becomes really harsh… is there something I’m doing wrong?
My personal thought is that when you draw on a pipe, resins etc. are drawn down and collect as well as coat the tobacco below what is currently burning. I think this can increase the stregnth. I know what you mean. I have experienced it as well. My suggestion is to find a different tobacco. I lay my pipe down at times and pick it up again later in the day. I never let it sit longer than the current day. It is a touch stronger but the flavor is still there. It is definitely not harsh.
jef

Reactions: Akoni808

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My personal thought is that when you draw on a pipe, resins etc. are drawn down and collect as well as coat the tobacco below what is currently burning. I think this can increase the stregnth. I know what you mean. I have experienced it as well. My suggestion is to find a different tobacco. I lay my pipe down at times and pick it up again later in the day. I never let it sit longer than the current day. It is a touch stronger but the flavor is still there. It is definitely not harsh.
jef
Or, you can simply not fill it all the way to the top.... puffy

Shortwave

Lurker
Sep 25, 2022
I'll get busy, let it go out, and come back to it the same day. But if it's been a day or more and it's bone dry I'll start over.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
It'll depend somewhat on your local environment and humidity, but I've picked up pipes after a day (or occasionally two or three days) and they've been fine to continue smoking. Most often Virginia forward blends.

For me, there are quite a few blends that smoke a lot better in one sitting though... they can tend to become flatter or ashy in flavour after a revisit.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Do you guys like smoking a bowl and then putting down to pick it back up later to smoke the remainder?

I’ve noticed that every time I do this, the tobacco becomes really harsh… is there something I’m doing wrong?
You mean is there a better way to do the same thing? I don't think so. I do it quite frequently. The relight (sometimes the next day) is stinky and a bit harsh. I like that.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I do it regularly. Sometimes I will leave a pipe on my porch overnight and finish it the next day. If it is extra humid or rainy, I will dump it, though. Mileage may vary on the blend.

argmooner

Lurker
Sep 27, 2022
Good evening everyone. I'm a Newby. Only smoking a pipe 4 or 5 weeks. Only have two for now.
Can I smoke a fresh pipe 2 and 3 times a day? (I do fairly small bowls and I'm a dry smoker)
I have a few new pipes coming but I work a ten hour day and don't want to bring multiple pipes with me . Thank you to all for your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Normally, I fill about a half bowl because that's all I want. I smoke it until the end or until I weary of it, and then I dump whatever may be left.

Reactions: argmooner