Purple Salt?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Mar 6, 2013
I bought a couple estate pipes today at a local antique shop. I reamed them, buffed them, and sterilized the bits. The final step was to perform the salt and alcohol treatment to the bowls and shanks/stem. After several hours everything looked OK, then the salt in one of the pipe's shanks/stem turned purple, not brown! I cleaned the salt out of that shank, put in fresh salt, and again purple!

Any ideas? The other pipe looks normal.

petes03

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hmm, that's different! I have no idea what would cause that. Good luck figuring that one out! I don't think I'd smoke it until I new for sure it was safe.

pruss

Preferred Member
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey bullbriar, thanks for posting this. I know I've seen pictures of this somewhere else... either in another thread here, or on the Reborn Pipes blog. Definitely purple leaching into the salt during S&A. It's been so long that I can't remember the punchline... whether it was dye from the lip/inside the bowl or just a noxious ghost. If I can find it, I'll post a link, but both the 'Repairs' section here and the aforementioned blog are worth a scan.
Let us know how this works out will you?
-- Pat

bullbriar

Mar 6, 2013
Roth,

That was my first though, but the briar is a honey color...it doesn't appear to have been stained.

Status
Not open for further replies.