PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Is it possible to put an approximate date on this?

I will clean and polish it this weekend, and soak a little superglue into the backside of the small crack in the shank, visible in the closeup photo.

Can that be the original stem, being smaller than the end of the shank?

20210526_094851.jpg20210526_095314.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is quite possible. Either way it’s a bad job of pipe handling. Always amazed at the things people do to their stuff. ?‍♂️
It needed to be sanded/blended into the shank. It’s still fixable that way I fixed a GBD bulldog with the same issue.

Reactions: niblicck

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Sand the end of the shank down to fit the stem but before that repair crack by drilling a tiny hole where it stops and fill with superglue and briardust. Add a reinforcing band. Great looking pipe you have there.

Reactions: BROBS and OzPiper

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Sand the end of the shank down to fit the stem but before that repair crack by drilling a tiny hole where it stops and fill with superglue and briardust. Add a reinforcing band. Great looking pipe you have there.
I get the drilling, though I wouldn't have thought of it. So you're advising that I sand a shallow rabbet all the way around the shank in order to fit a band which itself is correctly sized to match the stem?

Status
Not open for further replies.