PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Well, it finally happened. I've done pretty well on E-Bay. I try to be careful about knowing what I am getting before I buy. Well, I won a bid, at what I considered a great price, on what was described as a GBD New Era. It was hard to see the markings in the pictures, but at the bottom, it listed the markings as "GBD, New Era, London England, 133". I got the pipe today and no "New Era stamp anywhere on the pipe. It actually says "London Made", not "New Era". It's still a great looking pipe and I am sure it will smoke well and the price was minimal, but I am a bit disappointed because I thought I was getting a higher grade pipe at a steal. Live and learn. When it seems too good to be true...

This is my first GBD and I'll admit it's the one British brand I know the least about, but I think it's still a good deal, so I'll keep it. If any of you GBD collectors can tell me anything about this pipe, I would appreciate accurate information.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Estates-GBD-London-Made-Smooth-Billiard-Smoking-Pipe-133-1950-/162312474587?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=o3mgYQfVk%252FjX%252FI8cVdaETdZbbHM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It's unfortunate when a seller lies, which is what happened here. The markings are not what are on the pipe. Personally, though, I think it is a decent price for what you received. If it looks good and smokes well, that's a fine price regardless.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, no offense, but you can see clearly in the pictures, which zoom, that it is a "London Made" pipe and not a New Era.

However, I think for $35 delivered, you still did OK.

Coincidentally, I just sold a GBD 133 New Era in the Classifieds section.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Its a nice pipe for the money. I don't think the seller lied on purpose. He doesn't seem to be a "pipe guy"...... probably listing them from an estate sale or something. He does offer a 14 day money back return if you are not satisfied........ :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I know you did, and I would have bought it if I hadn't already bid on this one, and the price was fantastic if it really were a New Era. I saw the "London Made" in the photo, but some markings are hard to see on Ebay photos. Since the description stated "Markings: GBD, New Era, London England, 133" I thought I just couldn't see the "New Era" stamp. I am very familiar with markings from Comoy's and Charatan, but not so much with GBD or BBB (I'm learning). If it's not a New Era, why state that it has that stamping??? I suppose it's as much my own fault for nor familiarizing myself beforehand. Lesson learned.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Oh, the pipe is beautiful and I certainly think I got a good price for it. I would be happier if I wasn't anticipating a New Era. I probably would have still bid the same if I had known it was a London Made, but Tearing open the box to see my New Era that I stole on Ebay, and finding out it was something else... sigh.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not a bad looking pipe for the money, My 2cent for future reference stick to the vintage pipes, if it doesn't have the metal GBD roundel give it a pass, but that's just me
https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Gee, I've had a nice year on eBay! After my last purchase, the eBay vendor wished me a Merry Christmas (within the EU) and asked me to choose a pipe from his offerings as a gift.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pagan - I thought it did (Silver, not brass).

Snowyowl - I, too, have done well on Ebay this year. This was the 1st time I've been stung, and I wasn't badly stung at that. I do like the pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That one does have the rondel (sometimes they're brass, sometimes silver) and the straight line "London, England" COM indicative of a pre-merger pipe, made before '81-'82. In fact that rondell is in mint condition. I still say you done good!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It does specifically say in the title "London Made," however, in the comments it does say "New Era." My guess is the seller made a mistake in the comments. It doesn't appear it was an intentional error from what I see by the title and pictures. With that said I think you ended up with a nice looking pipe that will probably be a very nice pipe. Enjoy.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks, Al. We'll see how she smokes tomorrow. I'm thinking Aylesbury Luxury Flake. Let's see if we can make her sing!

Status
Not open for further replies.