PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
Please do not criticizes me; I know Thanksgiving is over and 2020 is just a day way. However, before Thanksgiving, just around Halloween I purchased some Pumpkin Spice from Sutliff. Just from curiosity. I thought, since Thanksgiving is coming and I love Pumpkin pie I would give it a try. So I bought 4 oz.

The smell in the bag was stronger than the taste while smoking. Smelled good, so I loaded a pipe and sat back to enjoy pumpkin spice.

Forgive me, but I did not taste PUMPKIN (which is what I was actually looking for), but I did taste the spices that go into making pumpkin pie (the cinnamon, clove, and allspice). But that’s ok because I could easily taste the tobacco. Black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia well mixed so that the spices did not rule over the tobacco and the tobacco did not rule over the spices – a good mix, dryer however.

It is not really an ‘all day’ smoke (though it is mild enough, even mellow), however I did smoke it all day at first to evaluate it and to look for the pumpkin.

To me the room note was there but not strong. Nice but not strong. Which is good so that nobody complains or gets hungry smelling the pumpkin spices.

I had no problems keeping it lit, once I lit the bowl it kept burning to the end. Slight moisture in the bowl afterwards, but only slight.

I did not experience any tongue bite, thankfully.

I will continue to smoke this while the days are cooler, though once it gets hot, I will have to shelve it until cooler days again and look for a summertime blend.

Last evening I sat down and had another bowl just to see if my perception had changed before I posted this evaluation. I am happy to say my evaluation is still the same, for better or worse it is still the same.

Edwin

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pumpkin flavor itself is a bit like lamb and calves liver in that you either like it or decidedly don't. I don't like pumpkin flavor much, but I have a friend who likes it in anything, including beer. Spices on a holiday blend or two have given me a chemical burn, so I steer clear of those. But if the blend is good to you, go with it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Please do not criticizes me
Wouldn't think of it, I like it too.

like most Sutliff aros.. A chemical tasteless mess is what it sounds like.
Three causes for that.

1) It can take many years to appreciate flavored blends. They all taste how they smell to me now but it took decades.

2) Not allowing the blend any drying time.

3) Packing too tightly.

Reactions: Edwin Weaver

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I haven't been able to dry a sutliff aromatic. It's coated in an oily substance that will not dissipate.
I had a pouch of Vanilla Custard open in the door of my car for 6 months over the summer... Like literally propped open and it was still oily/wet to the touch when I threw it away.

I have zero problems with other aros.

so it's actually a 4th cause: shitty ingredients

Reactions: Edwin Weaver

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I haven't been able to dry a sutliff aromatic. It's coated in an oily substance that will not dissipate.
I had a pouch of Vanilla Custard open in the door of my car for 6 months over the summer... Like literally propped open and it was still oily/wet to the touch when I threw it away.

I have zero problems with other aros.

so it's actually a 4th cause: shitty ingredients
A lot of the same ingredients that go into Mac Baren, Hearth & Home, and several other brand's blends.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
MacBaren does not use the same stuff as Sutliff though they are technically the same company.

and I've had the same issue with H&H aros...

you can tell which MacB produced items are actually Sutliff.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I find it dry enough for a smoke but after reflection, I decided I despised the pumpkin pie spice aspect in tobacco as much as in the real thing. No thanks. I like the Sutliff Christmas blend much more. ....

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I believe that Sutliff produces some really great stuff I smoke a lot more non-aros than aros. I don’t suffer from a pg aversion that many seem to have. I have numerous Sutliff blends and yet to have one that I would call “gloopy”. I think 1-M is a great everyday style aro. Their VA Slices and Balkan II are some of the best representatives of their particular genres. Different strokes...

Status
Not open for further replies.