PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
Found a thread from a year ago that I think warrants revisiting. I was a closeted pipe smoker at first, but that has since changed. Which are you, a public pipe smoker, private smoker, or both? Here's the thread if you're interested. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/public-pipe-smoking
And please keep it non-political.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I used to only smoke at home on the back porch or in the man-cave, but now I have no problem going to one of the local parks or to one of the local trails. I like to walk the trails while I'm enjoying a pipe. It's relaxing, but I also enjoy sitting by the river or the lake and enjoying a pipe too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never worried what people thought of me if I smoked a pipe in public, which I have been doing since I was a teenager. I know a couple of people who are afraid to be seen smoking a pipe because they think they look dorky. In my case - back in my college days - a fair number of women asked me out for dates because they were curious about the campus pipe smoker, which always surprised me. Outdoor pipe smoking is great; often more fun that way.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm both as well.

However; I'm not a late bloomer.

I started smoking my pipes in public the day I bought my first.

Which I still smoke on occasion by-the-by.
:puffy:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
A little of both. When I first started it was early fall and I wasn't all that into smoking a pipe so I didn't really smoke it anywhere. But on a nice day last month I took one on a walk. I sometime take a pipe to a bar a frequent. As things start to warm up I plan on taking the pipe with me to more places.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Both. If people have a problem seeing me smoke a pipe in public, they don't have to look. As for comments from the public, they are almost always favorable.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Well, I started smoking a pipe at age 17. I had already been caught smoking cigarettes with my friends when I was 12, and received a slap in the face, allowance cut off for a month and being grounded for two weeks. After that, my old man didn't bother me, but so not to press my luck too far, I kept my pipe smoking confined to outside with my friends - only one of whom also smoked a pipe - till I was 21 and had moved into my own place.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Both, I have been smoking for 15 years and I never shied away from smoking in public. I am not an old man yet, and I do hear an occasional snicker or catch an odd stare, but it doesn't bother me. I am at peace with my confidence and my identity.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I mostly smoke in private, but not because I'm ashamed, or self-conscious, it is simply because the anti-smoking laws make it hard for me to sit and relax on a park bench, or any other public place.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Both--I'm not worried by the masses judging me for smoking my pipe. Last weekend I lit up at a local bar, got some stairs of course; people just aren't used to seeing a pipe smoker any more, but after a few minutes the stairs turned in to compliments and questions and I actually ended up turning a few people on to pipes. Most people are just curious. Either way I'll smoke when I can, where I can.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I smoke wherever and whenever. At 35 I'm too old to care what people think. The only comments I've gotten so far are positive and most don't comment at all but keep on walking by. It may be the big stick I walk with that keeps them quiet. :lol:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Last night my girlfriend and I took a short walk to dinner in downtown Seattle and when we do this, I smoke as we walk but I am pretty careful not to blow smoke around people. Just because I love the smell doesnt mean they do.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I smoke in my home every day. When I am out I smoke in my car or outdoors. I have never had anyone react in a negative way when smoking in public. I smokes aros when I know I will be around alot of people. But living in ohio you can't smoke in any building that is not a private residence.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Do both. Smoke a pipe all day long. I'll smoke when walking the dog, doin laundry, in the can ... You get the picture. I'll smoke while driving me truck. I'll smoke whilst walking the streets of NYC, where I find myself twice a week. I will not go to places where I can't smoke. So, this basically means any structure with a door and roof. I sacrifice my pipe for my work, and I'll be damned if I'll do so without monetary compensation outside of work. I teach 20yr. olds medical microbioligy. So they're all trying to get into med school. Most'll became dental hygienists or technicians in the hospital. Health Care is a big tent. I even smoke pipe when kids taking exam. Just step outside, an let em way cheat away, while I have a smoke. The way I stick it to the man is I'll not smoke my pipe - but only if you pay me NOT to do so, whilst at work. The rest of my time is my own and yes involves pipe smoking.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
both.... hobling around with my cane the young ones think i am smoking pot and the older ones take one look at me and step away.
hell, i even smoke in the post office.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just started smoking in December, well up here that's ridiculously cold most of the time so I mostly smoke at home by myself. ONce it warms up, there's a local pub that has a patio that smokers sit at, I plan on frequenting that place with my buddies to check it out. I guess my timing to start the pipe could have been a hell of a lot smarter, but hey story of my life, a day late and a dollar short!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm extremely social, just don't know anyone to be social with that smokes a pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.