PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I prefer just seeing tantrums. Some may call me a hoarder. I'd prefer to think I'm just a guy determined to smoke aged tobacco and to have an adequate supply in the event I'm fortunate enough to live to be a ripe old age.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I have only 1 unopen tin and 1/3-1/4 tin left in a jar, but I have plenty other blends that I like in my cellar :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cui bono?
The retailer. The rest is speculation and wistful thinking.
So wait everyone seems to be saying that I should quit smoking and the only really sure fire way is to buy a crate of this one and smoke it until I hate pipes? Just making sure I properly read the subtext here.
That's certainly one construct you can take away from this.
Not to mention in recent months we've had a few members throwing tantrums about lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders.
We're always having members throwing tantrums over the lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders, which is ridiculous because most of the hoarders here are quite scrupulous about hoarding.
I've put aside a modest hoard, one that should allow me a few good choices over the next 15 to 20 years, which, given the genetics of my family on both sides, is a conservative estimate. Then again, the '60's is the treacherous decade, and I might wake up dead. So while I choose not to have a stash of the Brobdingnagian proportions are are being waved around here, I do have choices to smoke that are no longer available, including McClelland and Motzek Strang.
On the matter of aging tobaccos, I'm less enthusiastic than I was. Some blends like PS-LBF, or the A & C Peterson made Escudo, really do benefit from aging. Others merely change and I'm not always wild about the nature of that change. And really old tobaccos are largely faded mutant crap. So the joke may be on the hoarders down the road.

Reactions: chopper

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Others merely change and I'm not always wild about the nature of that change
This man speaks sooth. I think the golden doubloons will age to my tastes, though.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'd blame not being able to tell tongue in cheek humor unless someone inserts an emoji.
Bloody hell, some of you boys take stuff pretty darned seriously.
I knew it was TIC...because who can imagine Hugo Drax not stocking up for the apocalypse?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I require a lifetime supply of Black Twist Rope.
jaws-600x337.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Fortunately I've recently discovered activated charcoal toothpaste.
That combined with a steel wool toothbrush has enabled me to maintain my dazzling smile.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
We're always having members throwing tantrums over the lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders
Mea culpa. I don't think I threw any tantrums, but I definitely whined about hoarders on a few occasions when I first signed up here. Please accept my sincerest apologies, Honorable Hoarders. I now have a little hoard of my own, and I'm now very embarrassed about my whining. In my defense, it took a while to figure out the difference between hoarders and flippers, and between flippers who are gougers and flippers who are decent people. I calmed right down once I understood how the market works a little better (not that I really understand it now) and learned to be patient.
And we appear to have done an excellent job of changing the subject broached by OP... I believe he was asking about gold doublets, no? A rather heavy article of clothing, I would imagine.

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Well after reading these post for my amusement, I hope everyone has it in their last will and testament as to who gets what out of your cellars. It would be a shame to start a family feud..
If you have never tried a tobacco first why buy so much to cellar and if you don’t like it what do you do with it then?

Reactions: saintpeter

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I hope everyone has it in their last will and testament as to who gets what out of your cellars. It would be a shame to start a family feud..
Won't be a feud here, my collection has a date with the landfill when I'm ashes.

If you have never tried a tobacco first why buy so much to cellar
Blend composition and manufacturer tell me all I need to know. A curly cut Virginia/Perique has me written all over it.

if you don’t like it what do you do with it then?
I've never come across an unsmokable blend when it meets my component requirements and if I did, it could always serve as a blender. Even Esoterica tobaccos are smokable when mixed with something, and not leaning towards the hobbyist side I will have tobacco to smoke long after it is either unaffordable or no longer available for purchase.

Last edited:

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Won't be a feud here, my collection has a date with the landfill when I'm ashes.

Blend composition and manufacturer tell me all I need to know. A curly cut Virginia/Perique has me written all over it.

I've never come across an unsmokable blend when it meets my component requirements and if I did, it could always serve as a blender. Even Esoterica tobaccos are smokable when mixed with something, and not leaning towards the hobbyist side I will have tobacco to smoke long after it is either unaffordable or no longer available for purchase.

View attachment 7579
I have adjusted different blends to suit my taste also. I find some description are not very good even when the components are what I like.

When I first joined the forum here, I won one of Kevin's contests here and got a selection of Savinelli tobaccos. Of course, Doblone d'Oro hadn't been released yet, but I was surprised at how good this line is. I especially loved their English Mixture, which is one I definitely want to keep around for winter smoking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.