PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, honestly, I usually don't mean to offend people, so if there are words that immediately trigger folks, I won't use them. Call me PC or whatever. Shortly after joining this forum, I mistyped a statement,,, saying "Jew foods" instead of "Jewish foods"... and the kickback was fierce especially being a white male from Alabama.

There are other derogatory terms for people of different ethnicities I avoid. Because once you say them, people do not hear beyond that into what you are trying to convey. That, and it's just not friendly. Or, right. And, I totally understand the reactions they trigger.

Beyond insulting names for different ethnicities, I am not familiar with what PC things are, nor why people would be against them. I am old, but I am willing to learn.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Public Enemy number one

Is it not political correctness ?

Do we have to be told what to say and think ?
I've got on perfectly well all my life just being normal.
I’m missing the reference on this one. Was there a recent article or pronouncement? Otherwise I think the FBI gave it up while we still had a director who wore dresses.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Well, honestly, I usually don't mean to offend people, so if there are words that immediately trigger folks, I won't use them. Call me PC or whatever. Shortly after joining this forum, I mistyped a statement,,, saying "Jew foods" instead of "Jewish foods"... and the kickback was fierce especially being a white male from Alabama.

There are other derogatory terms for people of different ethnicities I avoid. Because once you say them, people do not hear beyond that into what you are trying to convey. That, and it's just not friendly. Or, right. And, I totally understand the reactions they trigger.

Beyond insulting names for different ethnicities, I am not familiar with what PC things are, nor why people would be against them. I am old, but I am willing to learn.
Maybe it's different over there.
But on this side of the pond, what used to be just normal courtesy, now has this title of political correctness, and anyone who says something the the slightest bit out of place gets massacred by the media.

It's as though it's become a vehicle for cutting people down to size, and I can't see that as being in any way politically correct.

Of course, if anyone says something blatantly offensive, that is wrong, and they deserve to be put to rights.
I too am willing to learn. One has to keep up with current matters.
What once seemed ok to say, when enough people take objection to it, and state their case clearly, then I can understan how it actually is offensive.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Maybe it's different over there.
But on this side of the pond, what used to be just normal courtesy, now has this title of political correctness, and anyone who says something the the slightest bit out of place gets massacred by the media.

It's as though it's become a vehicle for cutting people down to size, and I can't see that as being in any way politically correct.

Of course, if anyone says something blatantly offensive, that is wrong, and they deserve to be put to rights.
I too am willing to learn. One has to keep up with current matters.
What once seemed ok to say, when enough people take objection to it, and state their case clearly, then I can understan how it actually is offensive.
Not that much different here but I'm going to avoid any discussion of politics like I would knowingly avoid schistosomiasis.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Growing up I had more fights than I can remember if someone called me a kike. My first fight where I really did damage to this punk was in 4th grade. It finally stopped when I was a junior is h.s after I beat the shit out of enough guys.

I'll never forget at my new school, a prep school this irish kid was behind me in line and he used the word kike. I turned and fired a shot to his throat and then kicked his knee so bad he couldn't walk for weeks. I never put up with any anti Semitism. and after I gave enough guys a good beating they made sure I was not in listening distance as they knew I would beat their asses real good.

I took a few beatings but it was never one on one. These Irish pricks ran in packs. The Irish hated the jews no matter what school I was at. It wasn't my fault we all became doctors and lawyers and the Irish were Firemen and Cops. We went to the same schools.

Jun 25, 2021
England
It's the politicisation and even law-making of anything that comes under the umbrella of political correctness that gets me.
It could easily teeter off the edge and become nazism.

Reactions: JOHN72

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Naive of me I guess, but I did not think my post would cause any hostile reactions.
Not taking shots at you, but you see right there why poo-litical (in)correctness has become so successful as a tool to implement tyranny: nobody wants to be "unfriendly" or "divisive".

We can't all be friends. That's a fact and it's the way it is. At best we can try to be civil, but civility does not equal forsaking of truth in order to get along.

Status
Not open for further replies.