PSA: Jar Your Samuel Gawith Boxes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Preferred Member
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I bought some bulk boxes of Kendal Plug, FVF, and St. James Flake last summer, and decided to jar them up yesterday. I was thinking of letting them sit and age in the bag inside the box, just like Esoterica, but got a feeling that the bag inside wouldn’t be storage quality. I believe I was right, as it was just a simple ziploc bag.

Fortunately, everything seemed to be excellent, with good moisture and excellent pouch aroma. I transferred them into Ball jars for aging with the exception of the Kendal Plug, which I don’t know what to do with. Lit up a bowl of St. James Flake that I separated from the rest going into the jar, and it was amazing.

So, remember to jar up your Samuel Gawith bulk boxes once you get them.

3D9D5147-FDA3-4514-B2D7-C0A11DC08F10.jpeg

BD21DB91-6587-4E24-A329-F654C4133F1F.jpeg

fireground_piper

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I jar everything larger than 100g tins but there are a few instances where I didn't break it up into smaller increments last year when I started opening everything. I put a 250g box of St. James flake into a single large jar but I feel I should break that down.

Did you break it down at all or just large jars stuffed full?

Reactions: kcghost

gervais

Preferred Member
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I got boxes and boxes of the Kendal Plug last release and cut the bricks up into 125g and 63g blocks, then put into jars. I also put one into a heat-sealed mylar, but that was more of an experiment to see how it ages there vs. in the jar.
Yep that's what I do with the plug as well. The jars that is

Reactions: BROBS

americaman

Preferred Member
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Did you break it down at all or just large jars stuffed full?
I just jarred all of the St. James Flake into two medium-sized Ball jars (maybe pints?) to let it age for a few years. I saved a little of the FVF, maybe four ounces, because I want to experience it some more. I have so many open tins I need to get through.

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I got my SG boxes in back in 2012 I jarred them up right away. I had the perfect 2 pound containers and while they were not cheap, they were effective and they didn't take up too much space. I had the 2 pounders along with the 5 pounders. In the pic below you can see how much tobacco each held. The tops were great as they had silicone gaskets which compared to the cheaper rubber gaskets would last for a lifetime. If you focus on the bottom shelf all of the jars have the high quality jars with the silicone gaskets except for one jar. That particular jar I use to keep my open tins in as those will keep an open tin fresh for 1-2 years. I use a lot of those jars so I can keep a bunch of open tins in them and I will have a great variety of tins available as I really like a variety of blends to smoke through.

If you see the high quality jar that is huge on the bottom left, that will hold up to around 5 pounds in it. Those are the biggest jars in my collection. I have a number of those and a few are full.