PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I have smoked through almost 1oz of Comoys and I find from what I remember, that like PS LNF, it is very green tasting without at least a few months age on it. I have a few flakes left of the 1oz that I bought last year and it has improved. I can't say for certain the extent in which it's changed, but I just know it has. Any time sitting will change it.

Both bulk prices are similiar, with Comoys coming in at a $1.89 more for the 16oz option. It won't be hard to find others here who will have more input. You could also go on tobaccoreviews and look up both blends, as many there also compare one to the other directly in the review.

Personally, I find that Comoy's is a great Va/Per when I don't want something as bold as GL Pease Fillmore and something a bit more strong than Stratford and not quite as deep and rich as Peterson DNR or Escudo.B oth Luxury Navy Flake and Comoys are probably a benchmark Va/Per for many people. I'd say they both would probably sit at a 3 out of 10 in terms of strength and flavor fresh, creeping up to about a 5 or 6 with some good age on it.

I don't prefer one over the other as most of the time I'm smoking Fillmore. However, I like to throw 2 flakes into my Peterson Pub Pipe for a good 1.5 hour smoke and not really have to concentrate to be satisfied. IMHO, LNF and Comoy's are the codger blend of the Va/Per world, with LNF probably having more of an edge as the go-to if looking for recommendations for trying for the first time or packing away into Fort Knox.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanv

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'm sorry, I just realized I was comparing the wrong tobaccos. I was thinking the PS/Comoys Flake (rectangle) and not the Bullseye (round). Well, that makes my last message redundant, in a way. Just replace what I have said with the tobaccos you have mentioned and it is generally the same, as I have tried both. I did however find that Comoys didn't hold together as well as PS, and I can also get about 4 flakes instead of 2 into my Peterson!

Reactions: brandaves and seanv

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I prefer whichever one is cheaper at the moment. They’re both great, particularly when they have some age on them. You can’t go wrong with either one.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I only recently acquired some cask 7. Smelled great, but I always try to get some age on my Virginia based tobaccos before I dive in. What is your preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.