PS Bullseye Flake. What a Difference a Year Makes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Oh wow, this is great to see -- I got some LNF, LTF, and LBF about a year ago, and didn't fall in love with any of them.

LNF I could tell was quality -- it struck me as an imitation of Esoterica Dunbar -- but still I wasn't motivated to reach for it much.

LTF tasted super artificial to me.

LBF just seemed boring as heck.

But ya'll have me very motivated to check in with these again.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think LTF undergoes the most transformation with age that I’ve experienced with pipe tobacco. As SBC said above, I agree, it tastes very artificial fresh but with 6 - 10 years age, it’s amazing, the topping/casing transforms into a more fermented apple cider flavor and is more natural, in fact, I wouldn’t have guessed it was cased if I hadn’t tasted it fresh. I bought 8 oz in 2010, didn’t care for it at all but knew better than to just throw it away or pass it on. I revisited it 9 years later or so and I immediately went online to buy a 1.5 pound box just to age it. Now it’s a favorite of mine but you definitely have to buy it and forget about it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I thought LTF and LNF we’re pretty good fresh, but LBF did not agree with me. I have a bunch from 2014, so I should probably revisit it.

Reactions: eljimmy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have some from 17 or 18 (can't remember) that is turning the corner into something nice. I still prefer Marlin Flake, but after reading about so many substitutions and blend changes going on at K&K, I'm off buying their products until the news changes.

The 17/18 LBF was good enough to entice me to buy a couple boxes and jar them up, to be forgotten for at least 4 or 5 years.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
What he said.

I’ve got Luxury Bullseye Flake I jarred 5 years ago. As posted above a year or more really makes a difference. A much fuller, smoother smoke.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
What they ^ all said. Do yourself a favor and buy some to stash away. Write on the jars: DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 2030. You will be very pleased with yourself in a few years...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a bunch of 24 oz. bricks stashed away. From before everybody went mental and started buying it all up...

Maybe ill smoke some later this evening

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Guys, you were more right than I guessed.

Like I said above, I had a bowl of fresh LBF about a year ago, and found it too boring to bother with again.

This thread was a revelation to me, so I went digging for that LBF last night. What I found was much better than last year's LBF (!) -- I found a sample of LBF that a friend had sent me like 6 years ago, which I'd completely forgotten about!

Oh my -- the flavorful spice tingle on the retrohale was so exotic and complex that I couldn't believe that it was the same tobacco I'd shrugged at.

Thanks for the lesson, fellows.