Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 25, 2022
Title revised to include subject and shorten. Old title:

Internet Find -Most likely English /European -Austria/Czech ?

Drool time fellow puffers!
The big stand went for $1,500 and as a woodturner ,carver am not surprised.
Beautiful museum quality piece, wonder how many are languishing in the darkened storages around the world ?
That’s another post from this former State Museum Conservator.

The “Barley Twist” main vertical support is an exercise in patience, it is laid out from a long square billet , then the spiral is done using a skinny strong paper , triangular strip depending on how you want the end product to be.
But get this after you drill bore the strategic holes with a hand brace ,work begins on rasping it to shape, then hours of patient, sanding followed by a well deserved smoke break and beverage!
How many are going to build one from this rare photo,raise your paws?
CFE47A8D-190E-4A91-A317-D2FE91973FB2.jpeg51FDED5D-4D54-4E31-98BD-BAD1635578C8.jpegA2AD445D-658A-4A81-9E0B-60E85404F8B4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lovely no doubt but it's free standing design foreshadows a collection of broken pipes from the slightest of accidental bumps. I've seen such stands go on ebay for less than $500 and even got an old world globe for $40 but just as a display piece. I don't personally use stands.

Screenshot_20210918-133106_eBay.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm surprised it can't find a picure of one of these on the net, oh, well...

Back in the 60s Decatur made a smoking cabinet that set on the floor with legs. The upper part was an open pipe rack and the lower was a cabinet with doors that had more pipe rack storage. If I remember correctly it also had a drawer. I had only seen it in picutures.

Well, I thought this thing was really cool and wanted one. However it sold for $250 which was too rich for me. Then one day I was invited to an old time pipe smoker's home to see his collection. There it was, he had one. We looked at some of his pipes for a while then he went to the cabinet to show me some more. He found his flashlight, opened the doors, got on his knees, bent down and searched around with the light until he finally found what he was looking for. I no longer wanted one! puffy