PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
I moved from southern California to Oklahoma when I retired from the military several years ago. A friend out there told me there'sonly 3 reasons to live there long term and if you aren't partaking in all three, get out of the madness there. Weather, women and weed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There's a smoking ban in Lexington, KY? I live here, and my house is next to the constable's office, and I literally wave hello to the constable while I'm walking around smoking my pipe every single day.
Not suggesting a ban didn't go on the books, but it's definitely not enforced.
The ban I referred to was for restaurants, bars and other public places. I would think you'd know that but I guess not. Perhaps you should leave the house, go out to a bar or restaurant and light up your pipe. Perhaps you'll get to see the constable again aside from across the street.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The ban I referred to was for restaurants, bars and other public places. I would think you'd know that but I guess not. Perhaps you should leave the house, go out to a bar or restaurant and light up your pipe. Perhaps you'll get to see the constable again aside from across the street
I actually did a little research, and there is a ban on smoking within 25 feet of the entrance to any building (or a 'reasonable distance'), but this has got to be the most weakly enforced law in US history. I couldn't possibly count the number of people I see huddled outside restaurants and bars having a leisurely cigarette on any given day, in full view of patrol cars and other law enforcement personnel.
I had no idea I lived in ground zero for tobacco oppression, but take heart, Beverly Hills-dwellers. Even here, we smoke freely, and the law is not enforced.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had no idea I lived in ground zero for tobacco oppression, but take heart, Beverly Hills-dwellers. Even here, we smoke freely, and the law is not enforced.
Really? If you own a bar or restaurant in Lexington,you can't walk into it and smoke your pipe. Your idea of freedom differs significantly from mine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like you can still smoke in these places in Lexington.
https://m.yelp.com/search?find_desc=smoking+bars&find_loc=Lexington%2C+KY

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Now I wonder how we have this discussion without getting into politics which is strictly forbidden here. I guess it ok to pick and choose which rules matter, right?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Troutman, not chiding you or anything, but nowadays EVERYTHING is politicised. You just can't avoid politics. Maybe that's why the moderators tolerate a certain amount of political argument, stepping in when things become too partisan. Who knows? I'm not them.
All I can say is that when it comes to tobacco (and a number of other topics too, say environment), you just can't avoid politics. Trust me, I wish it were possible, but it isn't anymore.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Wait, pot is growing in (pun intended) in legal circles, and pipe tobacco is about to be banned in La La land?

OK, that makes sense, right?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I actually did a little research, and there is a ban on smoking within 25 feet of the entrance to any building (or a 'reasonable distance'), but this has got to be the most weakly enforced law in US history. I couldn't possibly count the number of people I see huddled outside restaurants and bars having a leisurely cigarette on any given day, in full view of patrol cars and other law enforcement personnel.
Same here in SoCal. It is more enforced in Santa Monica. When you have paid a mid 7 figures for 1100 sq feet on a postage stamp sized lot you tend to feel entitled.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now I wonder how we have this discussion without getting into politics which is strictly forbidden here. I guess it ok to pick and choose which rules matter, right?
There is both a quantitative and qualitative difference between discussing legislation and promoting ad hominem ideological attacks.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Guys, I was very tounge in cheek. I have no problem with politics and I agree that you can't get away from it these days no matter how hard you try. I do try to keep my comments as center line as I can but I would think we can all question just how far we want government to regulate or "protect" us from ourselves.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Now I wonder how we have this discussion without getting into politics which is strictly forbidden
Here, we can discuss the governance of tobacco and it's related products only. The thread will be short because the train wreck will occur. There are members who cannot discuss such without personal attacks.
Politics is part and parcel of everything we discuss. It's a common thread throughout our lives. However the politics of government seem to generate visceral responses. The word has evolved from a positive word denoting the complex interactions of life itself into a word which, to most, refers only to the politics of governance.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It is allowed to discuss Tobacco Legislation, thus we have a subforum.
There is both a quantitative and qualitative difference between discussing legislation and promoting ad hominem ideological attacks.
+1

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Am I just being an alarmist when I wonder how long it will be before its illegal to smoke in my own home?
They'd be protecting you from your own 2nd hand pipe smoke. That stuff's deadly! I've known at least 0 people who developed health problems while employed at bars where roughly 75% of the patrons and 100% of the employees smoked.
Smoking was banned in bars a couple years ago in New Orleans, a.k.a. the City of Clean and Healthy Living. Now everybody stands outside and gets rained-on while breathing the same smoke as before.
I for one say it's worth it if only a single defenseless child who works or drinks inside one of those bars is saved from the living hell of 2nd hand smoke exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.