PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I keep mine hermitically sealed in a biomedical container that I fill with argon gas. And, when I am not completely deranged, I just put them on a pipe rack. puffy
A pipe rack you say? Huh.

Rigidman; An ebay merchant has been selling NOS from a 100+yo German pipe shop that had closed for the last few years.
Thousands of pipes from 1900 to the 80s that had most likely been stored in cardboard boxes for between 50 to 100 years.
The 50+ antique pipes that I bought from this seller were all in fine condition.

Unless one lives underwater, a pipe rack [out of any sunlight] will do just fine. . . . or a cardboard box. ;)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Well most places don't sell pipe cabinets. They do sell humidors if they sell cigars. But there are a couple high end pipe shops, in the UK mostly, that sells pipe cabinets. $300+ a pop. Figured I'd build one.

Also my local cigar/pipe tobacco shop sells cigar boxes for $1. Figured I'd get one of those maybe if I found one good enough to serve as a pipe humidor would be better than $30+ for a wood cigar humidor or for a plastic one.

I can't understand that. How can a plastic box be the same price as a wood box? $30 for a plastic box. You can find acrylic/plastic boxes on eBay and Amazon for a couple bucks. Even food storage containers are less than that.

My girlfriend quit smoking about 30 years ago. I quit cigarettes about 20 years ago. So she doesnt like the smell. I don't like the smell either when I open the pipe box it smells like an old ashtray. But when I'm smoking I actually find the smell of the tobacco pleasant. The ashtray smell, that I can do without.

So I put in some odor eaters and some activated charcoal in a very small, think paper condiment cup size , zip lock container with holes. Wanted to see which was more effective. They both work the same, but the odor eater can be affixed to the top. Not cheap, but you can cut them up, store them in a zip lock, and they last forever. The little container uses the space a pipe can use.

So if you have issues with that ashtray smell, odor eaters are your ticket. I haven't had to change mine for some time. Been a minute. A long minute.

So it sounds like its a bunch of hooey. Truck pipes year round and no cracks, they haven't been shocked and ran away in fear or shattered. So I'll just keep them in my cigar box until the cabinet is done. The dog thinks it's a good idea too.
An "ashtray smell"? What exactly, are you smoking?

I've a large stainless steel bowl next to my laptap where I do a lot of my smoking, that's ended up as my default 'storage facility'. Not entirely sure how it ended up that way but it's convenient because it holds about 40 pipes that stops them from falling off my dining table onto the tiled floor.

There's also a pile of around 20 pipes on my coffee table next to the chair where I watch the idiot box.
Despite being right under my nose, I've not ever smelled anything like an ashtray.
Come to think of it, I don't build cake in my pipes.
If you do, that might explain the "ashtray smell"?

Reactions: coldbowl57