PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Are we going to get a follow up “how’d it go” post? With all this Dad advice given we might have to go over there and set ‘em straight after.
As soon as I find one! If its a bad crowd, I will follow the pissing and throwing chairs instruction that has been suggested multiple times now. Glad things are pretty much the same across the board🤣🤣 jk

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am *very* familiar with psycho cats. The deaf one tried to take my eye out the other night using my face as a launch pad! Gotta love them though
all but one of my cats was rescued. And they can have issues. Just glad he doesn't punch me in the eyes any more (no claws, thankfully but still unsettling to experience). My first cat my was a furry skeleton that my dad found out in the woods, the day he learned how effective hissing was a very good day. P.s. it's hard to feel right putting a cat like that on a diet even if they get over 20 pounds.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
all but one of my cats was rescued. And they can have issues. Just glad he doesn't punch me in the eyes any more (no claws, thankfully but still unsettling to experience). My first cat my was a furry skeleton that my dad found out in the woods, the day he learned how effective hissing was a very good day. P.s. it's hard to feel right putting a cat like that on a diet even if they get over 20 pounds.
A very good day for everyone! And yes, I would have a hard time not letting the little babe eat it’s fill as well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
A very good day for everyone! And yes, I would have a hard time not letting the little babe eat it’s fill as well.
Oh he had the cutest little big belly. It just would swing when he was outside running around being the nightmare of small animals. He was a very active cat but very fat. Ironically one of the next cats I lived with was also 20lbs but skinny. Seriously though that gut was really cute and funny. Great cat by the way. He wasn't a cuddle cat too much but he was the only cat that you could really play with. Like it was a competition how long can you keep the mouse away from him. And he'd play for hours at a time.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Oh he had the cutest little big belly. It just would swing when he was outside running around being the nightmare of small animals. He was a very active cat but very fat. Ironically one of the next cats I lived with was also 20lbs but skinny. Seriously though that gut was really cute and funny. Great cat by the way. He wasn't a cuddle cat too much but he was the only cat that you could really play with. Like it was a competition how long can you keep the mouse away from him. And he'd play for hours at a time.
My mother once adopted a 28 lb cat. She would have been considered a small cat if she had been the proper size. As it was, she looked like she had swallowed a basketball. Mom had adopted her knowing she was in kidney failure, essentially wanting to give her a comfortable home before she crossed over. Well, five years and 12 pounds lost later, she did pass. But after a very happy life and bringing much love to the home. I get my “sucker for animals syndrome” honestly.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't have a pipe club in my area, but I've thought about starting a pipe and cigar club for years. Plenty of great advice listed on the previous pages. I've attended plenty of Pipe Meet Ups (casual gathering of pipe smokers), and what I find works great is...

-Be open and inviting to all, as you all have a common interest in pipes.
-Don't talk politics, religion or other topics that may create hard feelings for others.
-Don't be a pipe snob. If someone only smokes corncobs so be it. No reason to hate on someone else's preferred pipe of choice. Maybe they can't afford a nicer pipe, and you don't want to give the impression that they're not worthy of membership because they don't smoke an expensive pipe.
-Don't be a tobacco snob. If someone prefers aromatics or OTC blends don't hate on their preferred tobacco of choice. Maybe they don't have access to other blends or haven't discovered other blends yet.
-Take some of your favorite tobaccos, and some small sandwich bags and a sharpie pen. Be open to sharing a bowl or even a small amount with other members of the club. Put some in a bag and write the blend name on the bag. Others will be appreciative of your generosity. This is great when you have a hard to find blend that many haven't had a chance to try.
-Feel free to bring some of your favorite pipes, so you can show them off or discuss why they're your favorite. Just remember not to be pretentious about it so you don't discourage others.
-Share your experiences good and bad, or hints that have helped you along the way, or area's that you struggle with. Chances are you'll find someone that has had similar experiences and you may be able to help them with something or they may help you with something.
-Check to see if there is a dress code and try to follow it, but don't discourage those that may show up out of dress code policy. Usually casual or business casual is fine.
-If the club is held at a tobacco shop then its a nice gesture to purchase some tobacco or accessories from the shop.
-Just be yourself. Don't try to be someone you're not. If you don't know a lot don't pretend you do as the experienced individuals will pick up on that and it doesn't make for a good first impression. If the regulars don't take to you at first that's fine. Just keep going and if its a good club the members will welcome you.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
My mother once adopted a 28 lb cat. She would have been considered a small cat if she had been the proper size. As it was, she looked like she had swallowed a basketball. Mom had adopted her knowing she was in kidney failure, essentially wanting to give her a comfortable home before she crossed over. Well, five years and 12 pounds lost later, she did pass. But after a very happy life and bringing much love to the home. I get my “sucker for animals syndrome” honestly.
animals are kind of awesome. Also really funny too.