PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
As you may know, we have a hot debate about water flushing method suggested by @jpmcwjr. Some suggested that running hot/warm water through vulcanite stems will cause oxidation. Even I faced the same problem after water flushing my pipes and their vulcanite stems. Later, @jpmcwjr suggested that the warm water doesn't cause the oxidation, but reveals it. Is he right? Let's see:

I had been using rubber pipe bits on all of my stems for 5 years. If you check the below picture of the vulcanite stem of my Nording pipe you will realize that the part of the stem that had been covered by the pipe bit is not affected even after washing it with warm water.

20201222_151618.jpg

I know it is very difficult to please you folks, so here is another picture. This time it's the vulcanite P-lip stem of my Peterson Standard System 31.

20201222_152332.jpg

And here is a picture of the acrylic stem of my Stanwell pipe, no difference at all.

20201222_142611.jpg

By the way, after 5 years of usage, I quit using the pipe bits.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As you may know, we have a hot debate about water flushing method suggested by @jpmcwjr. Some suggested that running hot/warm water through vulcanite stems will cause oxidation. Even I faced the same problem after water flushing my pipes and their vulcanite stems. Later, @jpmcwjr suggested that the warm water doesn't cause the oxidation, but reveals it. Is he right? Let's see:

I had been using rubber pipe bits on all of my stems for 5 years. If you check the below picture of the vulcanite stem of my Nording pipe you will realize that the part of the stem that had been covered by the pipe bit is not affected even after washing it with warm water.

View attachment 56636

I know it is very difficult to please you folks, so here is another picture. This time it's the vulcanite P-lip stem of my Peterson Standard System 31.

View attachment 56638

And here is a picture of the acrylic stem of my Stanwell pipe, no difference at all.

View attachment 56639

By the way, after 5 years of usage, I quit using the pipe bits.

Awesome! Nothing like some actual proof to validate (or squelch) opinions. Scientifically, I found no reason to believe water would cause a stem to oxidize.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve got a few vulcanite stems that oxidized just from me reading this thread. ?

If I actually ran hot water through them they might turn an altogether different shade of green than they usually do from just walking past them on the pipe rack.

Aug 1, 2012
Lets all keep in mind that tap water is treated with chlorine that may be producing the dis color of the vucalnite stems.
As we all live in different parts of the USA I would try using distilled water. Not to mention tap water contains minerals calcium and magnesium as well.
Thank you for jogging my memory. When you mentioned chlorine it reminded me that North American water is often treated with chloramines. This explains a lot.

Chloramines are known to be hazardous to rubber of any kind but especially problematic for older rubbers with high sulfur content (vulcanite, especially older vulcanite).

Since the OP does not live in North America and instead lives on the European continent, it is highly unlikely that his water supply contains significant amounts of chloramine. We in North America however, deal with relatively high amounts of chloramine in our tap water.

It makes sense therefore that his stems suffer little to no issues due to water rinses where many American and Canadian members see a significant degradation of the vulcanite

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
“Water” has been known to “Rust” vulcanite.
Lets all keep in mind that tap water is treated with chlorine that may be producing the dis color of the vucalnite stems.
As we all live in different parts of the USA I would try using distilled water. Not to mention tap water contains minerals calcium and magnesium as well.
Yep, US water is deadly, it's been reported to contain dihydrogen oxide!

Before

20201223_032101.jpg

After
20201223_032041.jpg

Lordbigbee

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
Belgium
So a combination of type/quality of rubber and type/quality of water + protection by wax(outside) and tobacco oils (inside) gives different outcomes, this is great to fuel the discussion between believers and non-believers.
Personally, given that my rubber stems discolor sometimes even from drinking coffee and bad experiences on rainy days, I don't use water for cleaning.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
jvnshr, I'll take some pics/share later today after I get back from the office:

* I have 100% had vulcanite stems on first-half 20th century Comoys, Barlings, etc. Britwoods go grey-brown/cloudy under hot water. I can even smell a sulphur/burnt rubber smell when held under the stream for a few seconds (like how I can smell an ashy aroma early in the water flush for the bowl).

* I have not noticed the same effect with modern (last few decades) pipes I have. Artisan Cumberland stems or even factory black like your Nording. I also have not noticed it in my 19th century Britwoods.

I have no claim to dead-nuts science here other than observation.....maybe it's a grade/type of vulcanite deal. As said I'll grab an older Britwood and post before-after today. Overall, in terms of water flush, I send hot water with stem in for all pipes....as noted in the recent thread. I also rinse off all stem materials in cold/lukewarm water to start (I'll wipe vulcanite with an oiled cloth after drying). Anecdotally, I just assumed there were different grades of vulcanite with some more prone to oxidation/off-gassing than others.

Reactions: jvnshr and jpmcwjr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I guess, maybe because of the kind of pipes I seek out, I just don’t really understand the grief oxidation causes.

I have a very easy touch up system involving three different grits of wet sanding followed by obsidian.

I’ve seen and used all kinds of cleaning methods including water, alcohol, pipe sweetener, toothpaste, flitz, a buffing wheel rig, midget indentured servitude, just to name a few.

It comes down a couple of simple realities. Pipe smoking and pipe cleaning is a meditative process and because of that, I’ll just stick to my simple antiquated ways.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I guess, maybe because of the kind of pipes I seek out, I just don’t really understand the grief oxidation causes.

Many of you have decades more experience than I....but the thread brought to the top of my mind that I have/use a pretty broad array of vulcanite/cumberland/etc. that really has never been much of an issue (in terms of oxidation) at all. I don't leave pipes out in UV/sunlight and I'm pretty quick to clean/oil in general.....but it's been pretty much the same experience as acrylic. There's one segment of pipes I own....factory pipes from the earlier half of the 20th century, that either come oxidized as estates or I notice will dull/grey-brown with heavy use or exposure. My vulcanite from the late 19th century?......gleeming black. Artisan and factory pipes 80's on?....no real issue.

That could all be bias to the pipes I have at-hand, dunno'.

Status
Not open for further replies.