PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Thank You much! I will check out that sight.

Ha ha, I have been thinking about looking in antique shops for future projects. I am really having fun and it's been great practice for being patient...for me anyway.

I don't have a Kaywoodie yet but those stems are interesting to me. I was thinking about buying a new one but I think they just have regular push in stems now.

Now go get that pipe and post it here please!
I’m telllin ya! I picked up that Kaywoodie, unscrewed the shank from stem and was horrified. Didn’t even ask the price!

These old timers didn’t own pipe cleaners.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm having my first bowl in the bent. I chose CD Opening Night. It's cold, rainy and drab out here today but I had a nice late breakfast and am staying warm with my Comfort Zone heater.

I'm planning to try out the Blakemar later this afternoon. Not sure what I will pack it with just yet.
I visited the pipe pediatrician site..lots to explore there!

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm enjoying one of my favorites, Maltese Falcon in the Blakemar. In the warmth of my farm truck and having a Budweiser.
Been trying to figure out the age of the Grabow on the sights mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm thinking early 60's but not sure..still searching!
The Blakemar is smoking just fine fwiw, I'm enjoying it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m telllin ya! I picked up that Kaywoodie, unscrewed the shank from stem and was horrified. Didn’t even ask the price!

These old timers didn’t own pipe cleaners.
At least you could unscrew the stem from the shank. I had some that I had to really run alcohol through in order for it to soften the tar enough to finally turn.

The good news is they all clean up nicely.

Reactions: Cotton1 and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
At least you could unscrew the stem from the shank. I had some that I had to really run alcohol through in order for it to soften the tar enough to finally turn.

The good news is they all clean up nicely.
I've received estates that looked pristine on the outside, but with internals looking like sewers that hasn't been cleaned for centuries. Alcohol is your best friend together with lots of pipe cleaners, mini bristle brushes and patience - oh and occasionally dental probes or jewellers screwdrivers.

Reactions: Cotton1

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've received estates that looked pristine on the outside, but with internals looking like sewers that hasn't been cleaned for centuries. Alcohol is your best friend together with lots of pipe cleaners, mini bristle brushes and patience - oh and occasionally dental probes or jewellers screwdrivers.
I just cleaned up a Comoy’s made John’s Pipe Shop. The outside of the pipe looked great. The internals required a drill bit in progressive stages to open the airway in the stummel. I was almost unbelievable how many pipe cleaners were involved. It also took rough 8 ounces of alcohol.

Reactions: Cotton1 and OzPiper

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Going to spend a little more time on the Grabow Today. A little late but kind of a before picture of the stem. IMG_20210213_143110779.jpg
IMG_20210213_143058555.jpg
IMG_20210213_143044902.jpg

I had spent time with the magic eraser already before I remembered to take these. We will see what the Flitz does for it today. Will update.. I'm hoping to have a bowl in this one later today.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Those are some great pics. We all got sent home to work remote last April so I spent the first few weeks cleaning all my pipes. That was the plan anyway. Almost a year later and I have a pile of "I'll get to it" pipes :(

Reactions: Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Besides polishing the stem I still had quite a bit of time with Everclear and pipe cleaners to get the inside of it good to go.

All I had left for the bowl was a coat of wax. Once done with the stem I put it back together again. The adjustomatic works great.

Through the cleaning process I kept getting hints of deertounge in the air. So, I have loaded it up with Gentleman Caller and am enjoying my first bowl as I make this post.

As much as I know: Grabow Viscount Adjustomatic that I estimate was made in the early 1960's. Tried getting pictures of the nomenclature but my phone camera wouldn't focus well enough.

IMG_20210214_142751155.jpg

IMG_20210214_142600365.jpg

IMG_20210214_142546196.jpg

I have had a blast with these and have enjoyed sharing them here. I have more projects coming up but also hope others will share theirs in this thread.

Cheers,

Cotton1
IMG_20210214_142459522.jpg

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Those are some great pics. We all got sent home to work remote last April so I spent the first few weeks cleaning all my pipes. That was the plan anyway. Almost a year later and I have a pile of "I'll get to it" pipes :(
Well, I hope you get around to it and post some pics here too!

Status
Not open for further replies.