PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
That's awesome. You have some great old ones but if you were buying new what would you recommend? I firmly believe IMP to be the back leader but I've gotten good pipes from CPW, MKM, and Star as well.
I agree with you about IMP, but would add SRV and Sinan Atilla to my short list. The latter uses the older style Delrin stem fittings rather than the larger bore, tenon-integral-to-the stem fittings of the SRVs and IMPs. I also like the look of some of H. Ege's pipes (Meerschaum Market) but I've not owned or handled one.

Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I agree with you about IMP, but would add SRV and Sinan Atilla to my short list. The latter uses the older style Delrin stem fittings rather than the larger bore, tenon-integral-to-the stem fittings of the SRVs and IMPs. I also like the look of some of H. Ege's pipes (Meerschaum Market) but I've not owned or handled one.
The ones I avoid now ate the servi and paykoc. I tried a few of their smaller ones. Bowed stems and they got incredibly hot.

Reactions: meercatpat

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Sounds like Dr. Anthony Cavo is one more source of it. I can't find any evidence of him ever smoking a pipe so it sounds like he's repeating what he's read or been told. As evidenced by meerschaum smokers above, it does get hot, and much easier than briar.

None of those appear heavily smoked. Is all of the heat conduction information only literary or from experience?
Both. Here are mthumbnail-1.jpegy frequent flyers. Clockwise from the top left: Koncak bent lattlce, (brand unknown) Canadian billiard, Eyup Sabri Pot or Volcano, a squashed tomato Koncak lattice, and center, Sinan Atilla horn.thumbnail-1.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Sorry, I don't post here very often and was trying to reply to Chasing Embers. I have about 40 meershaums; about 30 of them are in a collection of signed, unsmoked vintage pipes, most of which were carved by Eyup Sabri and Ismail "The Artist" Ozel. There are also a few strays in there by Sevket, Baglan, and Beckler, and a well-colored Andrea Bauer lattice from the collection of Fred Bass. As for smokers: My faves include a couple of mid-70s Koncak lattices and an IMP rusticated 1/4 bent apple. View attachment 136388
Fred Bass, of Strand Books in New York?